Rookie

Modem with wifi recommendations for best coverage/range

Hi, I'm having problems with my wifi coverage using my TWC modem with wifi (Ubee MTA DVW32CB). If I'm wired I got the full expected 200 mbps. Wifi in the same room is never higher than 80 mbps. In the bedroom directly above the router, I only get 20 to 30 mbps.

I'm thinking about going to a spetrum store and to get it replaced. Any recommendations for a better one from spectrum? 

Recommendations for purchasing one myself (combined modem/wifi or seperate devices) are also welcome. Thanks.

5 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Modem with wifi recommendations for best coverage/range

Try to get a unit that is just a cable modem, not a combined modem/router or "gateway" unit.  The Arris SB6183 would be a good choice for your 200 Mbps download speed package.  Then buy a good wireless router with external antennas.  For what you're trying to do, dual-band "N" would be the minimum requirement, but I'd go for an "AC" level router.  Shopping for the router at Newegg will give you a nice group of selections, if you buy local at Best Buy, Staples or Wal-Mart you'll probably only have 3-6 models to choose from.

Proven Sharer

I agree with Rick, and on top of that, just know that there are many things that can impact wifi performance that it may not even be your router causing the issue. It could be that your devices are set up to limit bandwidth, interference from other devices in your house (microwaves, fluorescent lights, baby monitors, cordless phones, etc.) , channel overlap from neighbors, or cell/tower interference just to name a few.

Lead Moderator

There are a few things you can check on to find out where the issue may be. Where is the modem located? Is it near things that are known to interfere with the signal? What is directly on the wall behind the modem if anything? A microwave? A baby monitor? There are a lot of things that can affect that. 

Some things you can take a look at can be found here: Get the most out of your Home WiFi service Performance Tips

I would agree with the others, getting your own router with external antenna will help with wireless performance. We can certainly put the modem into bridged mode so that you can use your own router. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

You've already received great suggestions. You may also want to consider mesh/surround WIFI Systems. I live in a house with concrete walls and always struggled with getting good reception throughout the home. I have been well pleased with the performance and customer service provided by LUMA; however, there are several brands to choose from including Google WiFi and Netgear Orbi.  

Rookie

So I ended up getting a modem only from the Spectrum store (Arris TM1602a) and bought a wireless router (TP-link Archer C1900) and the difference is amazing. 

Laptops now can get the full 200 mbps. Tablets/phones get close to 100 mbps instead of 5-20 mbps in rooms upstairs.