Observer

Microcell Not Working on TimeWarner Cable

Could a similar problem be happening in Albany, NY area?

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/connectivity/thread-id/2246...

I have a problem reconnecting my ATT mcell.

9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Microcell Not Working on TimeWarner Cable

[ Edited ]

What's AT&T got to say?

do you have a new modem or router?

If this is a combo, good luck.

Observer

One support person said  "ipsec problem"  and another one said "ports no open" and have the mcell on DMZ. 

Observer

Established Sharer

The previous posting is from February 2014, and was closed successfully.  If you cjhoose to open a service ticket with TWC and AT&T, you should refer them back to the original complaint.  Since your complaint infers selective blocking of network traffic (UDP ports 4500 and 500 to and from AT&T) you should also involve the FCC and your state regulator of cable sysstems.  Their contact information is, by law, printed on your monthly TWC bill. 

Observer

combo, not new

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

I presume you did read the second earlier thread, and I know MsRaye will also.  The rented combo modem-router was the problem.  You will need to purchase a separate router.  Unfortrunately I didn't see the Netgear model number listed.

Long story short:  Combo modem+router will not work.  Bridged Arris Tg1672g> Factory Restored Netgear Router> M-cell = Successful connection! Smiley Very Happy

Expert

I'll bet DMZ is dsabled in the router even though it apopears to be active... Turn it off then back on, if it works for a few days then quites, get a real router and rid of twc's all in one routing by shoving it into bridged mode...

or the ports are blocked at TWC's servers... That will require FCC intervention if a call to TWC's NOC won't help.

Highlighted
Observer

After more searching, I found a solution and the mcell is working fine now.   I had fthe irewall set to medium, and port 500 is not on enabled list.  The other 3 ports are listed 123, 443 and 4500 on medium.  Firewall needs to be on low and all ports are enabled.TWC is not the problem.

Somehow I thought that port forwarding would function even if ports were not in the firewalls enabled list, but this link has a different answer.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6580-v358x-Port-Forwarding-Setup/?l=en_US&...

Reference found — NOTE 3: If the firewall is set to High or Medium, port forwarding feature will be inoperable.  The firewall needs to be set to Low to function.

I still do no understand why DMZ did not work with firewall on medium?  That answer was not located in my search.  Since the cell is working, I stopped searching.

Established Sharer

You never did tell us the make and model of your modem and router, whether it's a rented combination unit or two separate boxes that you purchased.  From the link it looks like you might be using an Arris SBG6580 combo which we don't recommend.