Major lag spikes when playing games and issues with watching videos

I've been having issues between 7 PM and midnight east coast time watching videos on my computer.  At times I can't watch YouTube videos or Amazon Prime videos in 1080p resolution without studdering/buffering.  I understand that this is probably due to a large number of users in my area all online at the same time.

In addition to that, I've been having issues playing games online with friends at any time of the day.  I'm getting lag and ping spikes.   I tried a program called Ping Plotter and it shows consistent ping issues at:
cpe-174-111-120-013.triad.res.rr.com
At that location in particular my ping consistently jumps around from 40ms to over 500ms. It seems to be a network issue causing my lag issues and ping spikes.  I've also noticed when I play games online where my traffic isn't routed through cpe-174-111-120-013.triad.res.rr.com I rarely have lag issues and ping spikes.

So this is obviously an issue with the network at:
cpe-174-111-120-013.triad.res.rr.com

How can we get someone at Spectrum/Time Warner to fix this issue with their network?

Additional info:

I'm in the Columbia, SC area.

I have the 30/5 plan.

My modem is the Arris SB6183.

I'm using a Netgear wireless router with the ethernet cable from my computer plugged into the router.

I have no background tasks running that use bandwidth.

Things I've tried multiple times:
Rebooting my computer.
Resetting my router.
Resetting my modem.
Changed my Ethernet cable.
Changed the cable from the wall to my modem.
Checked to see if I have the latest drivers for all of my hardware.

8 REPLIES
Newcomer

Re: Major lag spikes when playing games and issues with watching videos

Having same issue since sunday depending on time of day. Getting really frustrated as their tech support instructs you to do the things that you already know what to do. I just wish they would admit to working on the issue and giving compensation off my bill since i am paying for their top internet speeds and they are not producing the product in which i paid

Expert

Don't reset the modem, copy and paste the signal level and error log pages, this could be a coaxial issue

Why could be a coaxial issue when the ping issue is obviously happening at an IP address on the Time Warner network in another state?

Established Sharer

We are trying to rule out anything in the cable plant at your end before pushing TWC to fix their network congestion.  If you still have a need to challenge the method, post the complete tracert data so we can see for ourselves that you are drawing an accurate conclusion. 

Work with the forum on this, not against us.  The last thing we need is for TWC to come back saying "You forum guys didn't even know how to read the data," or "The real problem is on the customer's end."

Also, there are some new delay problems reportedly caused by recent Netgear and Linksys router updates

If you look at my original post, it contains the complete tracert data through the pingplotter program screenshot. Right click on the image and open it in a new window. That's 10 minutes of tracert data run every 2.5 seconds. If you are unfamiliar with ping plotter, its a program that does a tracert and ping to a particular at a particular time interval until you tell it to stop.

As you can see the issue is with:
cpe-174-111-119-093.triad.res.rr.com

As you can see the ping goes back and forth between 19ms and 517ms.

I have not updated the router software/firmware recently and I've used the same router since the start of my service last year without issue until recently when the issue started with cpe-174-111-119-093.triad.res.rr.com

Expert

Yes your data posted tells me it's very possibly a coaxial issue.... I need to see those pages to see if it's an obvious one... Hopefully yours shows correcteds and uncorrecteds...

That IP is not WAY down the TWC/RR pipeline, it's sitting right next to your coaxial connection.

And I'm going to be completely rotten and tell you to add in the Min and max columns in ping plotter as well, they help to see best vs worst timing. You should not be running 2.5 seconds either, change it to 5 or 10 seconds which will better display 3 second timeout data and Dynamic route changes.

re is the Re: Major lag spikes when playing games and issues with watching videos

I reran pingplotter at 5 seconds and 10 secodns and got the exact same results as before.

Here is the modem status page.

Expert

Re: re is the Re: Major lag spikes when playing games and issues with watching videos

Yup! you have a signal level issue, your upstream is way over the limits...

There are too many splitters in line or open splitter ports....

Modem must be on no splitters if you're internet only or the first 2 way after the grounding block if you have cable boxes with those split off the 2nd port on the 2 way...

Upstream s/b below +50 dBmv with +52 dBmv being the cutoff point.

Your DS level is ok but it indicates the equivalent of a 4 or 8way split....

corrected count isn't bad but I have no idea when the modem reset itself.

The levels need to be fixed before anything else, switching modems won't help... this is a level issue. It could also be corroded center wire in one or more F connectors, probably outside.

Need to see if those repairs solve the hop 2-3 issues...

If the levels can't be improved, like they're bad out on the street, you and your neighbors are all tying up the CMTS with bad bytes and resends, trashing hop 3