Observer

Losing Connectivity Daily

Hello,

I have had an ongoing problem for at least a month and was looking for some insight before contacting support.

Nearly every night, usually between 7 pm and 10pm, I lose all internet connectivity and my phone.  All of my devices stay connected to the wireless router but my devices show "connected, no internet".

The outage lasts from a minute or two to close to an hour.  It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, web browsing, e-mail, etc.

I've re-booted the router several times to no avail.  Typically, after a period of time, the connectiviy comes back.

I did call support once and had a pre-recorded message saying they were aware of the problem.  At the end of my driveway I share a box with my neighbor.  Back in January or February, a Spectrum truck showed up unannounced and the technician fiddled with something in the box.  I completely lost everything.  He then promptly drove away.  I called support right away and a different truck showed up within an hour or so and the problem was fixed.  It seems to me that my connectivity issues started after this event.

I have had one instance where TV cable also went out.

This sounds to me like a network issue.

I live in SE Wisconsin, 30 miles SW of Milwaukee.  Thoughts?  I hate calling support and having to go through the obnoxious support system, being told to re-boot (already did that), etc.  I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet.

BTW, I am an RF engineer so I do have some knowledge of how the system operates.

1 REPLY
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Re: Losing Connectivity Daily

@garyk9gs wrote:

Hello,

I have had an ongoing problem for at least a month and was looking for some insight before contacting support.

Nearly every night, usually between 7 pm and 10pm, I lose all internet connectivity and my phone.  All of my devices stay connected to the wireless router but my devices show "connected, no internet".

The outage lasts from a minute or two to close to an hour.  It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, web browsing, e-mail, etc.

I've re-booted the router several times to no avail.  Typically, after a period of time, the connectiviy comes back.

I did call support once and had a pre-recorded message saying they were aware of the problem.  At the end of my driveway I share a box with my neighbor.  Back in January or February, a Spectrum truck showed up unannounced and the technician fiddled with something in the box.  I completely lost everything.  He then promptly drove away.  I called support right away and a different truck showed up within an hour or so and the problem was fixed.  It seems to me that my connectivity issues started after this event.

I have had one instance where TV cable also went out.

This sounds to me like a network issue.

I live in SE Wisconsin, 30 miles SW of Milwaukee.  Thoughts?  I hate calling support and having to go through the obnoxious support system, being told to re-boot (already did that), etc.  I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet.

BTW, I am an RF engineer so I do have some knowledge of how the system operates.

Hello,

You mentioned issues with Internet mostly, but TV and Phone as well.  The first thing that you should have done is contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  We had some inside wiring that was thirty years old and needed to be replaced.  There was a drop in the line, but other than that signals were good after replacing the inside main line.

Don't reboot anything, (boxes, modems, or routers) for six hours prior to your service call.  Equipment resets will reset the error codes and the tech needs to see this.  When more than one service is affected like this, the signal and drop line test is the first step.  It may be an issue even further along in the node causing the problems at night.  An amp may be old and may be dropping voltage at night on your street.

As to the Internet problems, after all this was done, I was getting disconnects from my router like every third day.  An upgrade of the router's firmware fixed this.  If you rent your router from Spectrum, you won't be able to update the firmware on your own, but would need to provide the make and model of your router so that Spectrum can see that it needs an update.  If you own your wireless router, you can update the firmware on your own and this at least in my case, stopped the disconnects.

You can do the router firmware update at any time if you own the router.  I would still set up the signal and drop line test because of the issues with TV, Internet, and Phone.

Satch