Rookie

Looking for the best source for Gig Internet Availability

I'm looking for the best place to find out when I will be eligible for Gig Internet service.

I've found that calling customer service and sales are not the best source.  I called yesterday after a friend two towns over got the service.  The rep looked into it, told me it was available for me and transferred me to sales.  The sales rep also confirmed it was available for me and submitted an order.  

The tech came out to install it and told me it is not available.  He then told me I'd have to call into customer service to get it straightened out (as if it was my mistake) - the rep I spoke with also told me she saw it as available for me, however since the tech told me no, she cancelled the order.  She told me to watch for advertisments to know when it would be available.  I've already seen advertisments, so that's not a great idea either.

Since customer service and sales both see Gig Internet available for me, it's being advertised in my area, how can I tell when it is actually available for me??

The added upload (going from 20 to 35 is the big draw for me, and I can't get that bump soon enough)

At this point, all I can think of is calling in a week or two and putting in another order, which may or may not end well.  Does anyone have any better ideas how I can tell when it will actually be available to me?

5 REPLIES
Browser

Re: Looking for the best source for Gig Internet Availability

try a google search. i know that spectrum charges a 199.00 upgrade fee for there gig internet wich i think is a rip off for hardware that i don't own
Rookie

Google lead me to the Spectrum website where I (apparently incorrectly) found it listed as available at my address.

The website and 3 customer service and sales reps all see it as available.

The installation fee is a lot, but I will gladly pay it, the increased upload speed will make my life a lot easier.

Helper

Are there other service providers are available in your area? AT&T? Frontier or Verizon FIOS? Google Fiber?

Rookie

Unfortunately no - this is a Verizon area, but it is one of the towns that isn't wired for FiOS.  My "choices" are Spectrum or Vz/ATT wireless options (which aren't reliable enough to be options)   :-(

Sharer

Could try checking the business class division to see if they offer their top tier speeds in your neck of the woods.

There is a sort of implied QoS understanding with their business class. I use the loose terminology because it isn't an actual enforceable written QoS agreement like you might see with a T1, but if the nearest node/tap doesn't meet a more rigid standard they will try to negotiate a deal to "build out" to a place of business if the potential for expansion looks good enough.

Basically, if they are providing business class to a nearby corner, chances are they invested enough getting good signal to their pole that top tier residential may in fact be doable, even if it hasn't been formally mapped out just yet. Knowing this may give you a little more leverage for pushing them to expedite the residential upgrade in your neck of the woods.

Keep in mind though that to properly support this level of service requires a move to new standards. Transition to such newer standards is often very slow progress in the cable markets. Early adopters often suffer a long period of underperforming and/or unstable service during higher demand windows until the newer standards are more widely adopted. Just prepare yourself if you manage to make any headway on this.