Spectator

Latency with TM1602A modem provided for 400Mb/s service

I was recently upgraded to the 400Mb/s package from 300Mb/s and ever since I got the new modem installed (Arris TM1602A) I'm seeing an average 5-8ms higher latency and regular latency spikes. I got the modem replaced today (same model) and since that didn't make any difference  I started to google the issue and found several forum posts from both Spectrum and Optimum customers reporting the same issue. I was on the phone with internet support today for about 1.5 hours asking for options but the best they could offer was to downgrade to the 200Mb/s plan and get a different modem that would hopefully not have the same issue.  Don't think it would bother anyone just browsing or streaming but it's sometimes noticable with games and remote connections and it's also just annoying to get so much worse latency with a higher Mb/s plan and not having any options if I wanted to keep the speed. Anyone else having similar problems? 

Some of the forum posts I mentioned:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/arris-tm1602a-puma-chipset-needs-fixing/td-p/14385...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31114171-Does-TM1602-suffer-from-same-Puma-6-issues-as-the-SB6190

Latency before (TG1672G modem):

Ping - Spectrum DNS1 - before.pngLatency after (TM1602A modem):

NOTE: The packet loss isn't from the service but from me trying different things like rebooting things and messing with the cabling. I only see higher and inconsistent latency no packet loss.

Ping - Spectrum DNS1 - after.png

10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Latency with TM1602A modem provided for 400Mb/s service

Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages...

and your location.

Not applicable

Try the arris sb6190 that’s on the approved list for the 300-400 internet plan I’ve noticed other Poole receiving modems for the new 400 internet that are not even on the approved list however most my neighbors use there own modem and routers and the sb6190 works amazing get about 110 extra mbps when we pay for up to 400 so 510 mbps
Helper

The SB6190 uses the same Puma6 chipset as the 1602. The latency issue becomes more apparent at faster speeds, and even then you'll usually only notice it when gaming or video conferencing.

Spectator

They replaced the modem with a Technicolor TC8715D today and latency is back to what it was before. Only downside is it only works <=300Mbits/s so I had to get the package downgraded to 200Mbits/s.

latency difference.png

Expert

and your location.

Proven Sharer

By now someone from Spectrum should have told you their packages do NOT spec or guarantee circuit latency times, just the raw speeds down and up across their transport network.  And a change of less than 10 ms in latency isn't anything to worry about, as long as the number is less than about 60 ms.

On the other hand, they should have been able to set up the replacement modem TC8715 to deliver300 Mbps for you.  Then they would collect a few more dollars from you each month, unless  you told them you would only pay the 200 price. 

Spectator

I'm totally aware they don't guarantee latency but since it was a very obvious difference with the new modem I was hoping they would try to fix it for me. They didn't. They didn't even acknowledge it was anything to do with the new modem.

Screenshot 2018-01-27 09.53.37 cropped.png

Proven Sharer

You have to remember that a year ago those people were staffing a bunch of analog cable TV systems that were built decades ago.  Now  with little additional personnel training or plant maintenance they have been turned into a nationwide internet service provider operating over a digitally encrypted cable network.  When handed a new subscriber trouble ticket, they may not be able to determine the most likely causes, nor the fastest way to restore service and keep their customers happy. 

Expert

and your location.