Newcomer

Just Trying to get 802.11ac

I was using Chat tyring to get a different modem that would work with both phone and 802.11ac.

her is the transcript.

Chat Transcript
info: Thank you for contacting us. A representative will be with you shortly. You will be given the opportunity to take a survey about your experience with chat today when you close the chat window.
info: You are now chatting with Reni T.
info: ** Please do not share credit card information in this window. If credit card information is required, the agent will push a separate and secure form to you.  **
Reni T: Thank you for contacting us. My name is Reni T and I will be happy to help you. Please allow me a moment to review the pre-chat details.
Reni T: Hi Richard.
Reni T: Good Morning!
Reni T: I see that you would like to change the modem for 802.11ac
Reni T: Am I correct?
Richard Greene: yes the one I have only does 802.11. n
Reni T: Thank you for confirming. I will be glad to help you with the information.
Reni T: You can walk in to the stores and get the modem replaced with a dual band frequency modem or I can ship one for you from my side.
Richard Greene: if you ship one what is the time and cost
Reni T: There is no cost in shipping the modem to your place.
Reni T: The modem will be delivered in 1-2 business days.
Reni T: You can ship back the current modem on the same label.
Richard Greene: that will work.
Reni T: Thank you for confirming.
Reni T: Please allow me 2 minutes while I access your account and ship the correct modem to your place.
Reni T: You can always visit https://myservices.timewarnercable.com to manage your Spectrum services quickly and easily. You can view and pay your bill, manage your phone features and view phone call detail records with Voice Manager, manage service appointments, check your Internet speed, check information on outages and equipment status and reset your modem.
Reni T: The link given above is for future reference.
Reni T: I'm sorry, it's taking me time to ship the modem. It should be done in another 2 minutes.
Richard Greene: OK
Reni T: Thank you.
Reni T: Richard, I'd like to inform you that, due to technical reasons, I'm unable to ship the modem to your place.
Reni T: In this case, I'll get you connected to our Customer care department who can help you with this.
Reni T: Please stay online while I get you connected to them.
info: Please wait while I transfer the chat to the appropriate group.
info: You are now chatting with Sameer K..
info: ** Please do not share credit card information in this window. If credit card information is required, the agent will push a separate and secure form to you.  **
Sameer K.: Hello.
Sameer K.: How are you doing today?
Richard Greene: ok
Sameer K.: Great to know that.
Sameer K.: I understand that you need to change your modem.
Sameer K.: I am awaiting your response.
Richard Greene: are you still there?
Richard Greene: you have not asked a question
Richard Greene: can you help mme or not
Sameer K.: I will be glad to help you with the procedure.
Richard Greene: hello
Sameer K.: You will need to visit our local store and get your modem replaced there.
Sameer K.: They will do the needful.
Sameer K.: Yes, please.
Richard Greene: this is different from the information I received from the last agent
Sameer K.: May I know what was the Information provided from the last agent?
Richard Greene: do you not see the chat transcript?
Sameer K.: I am checking it.
Richard Greene: then why did you ask?
Sameer K.: I am sorry for that.
Sameer K.: I see that the last agent informed informed you to visit our local store.
Sameer K.: You will need to visit our local store and swap your old modem with new one.
info: Your chat transcript will be sent to rmgreene@satx.rr.com at the end of your chat.
3 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Just Trying to get 802.11ac

Frustrating.  Dont' take their all-in-one Modem / Wifi Router.

If you are on a Spectrum plan, take their free modem, and buy your own Wifi Router.  This will save you $5 per month, and keep them out of your LAN.

When you go to exhange your equipment, ask for a modem ONLY.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

dstoffa wrote:

When you go to exhange your equipment, ask for a modem ONLY.

...or have your current all-in-one put it in bridge mode, have the wifi disabled, and get your own AC router that will be much cheaper in the long run than paying the $5 per month wifi fee.

Spectrum Employee

Hello GreeneR, I would recommend that you instead use a seperate router for AC wireless networking. While the TWC routers are capable of AC speeds, they are not the same level of AC capability that other higher end routers such as Asus or Netgear devices as these are dedicated wireless networking devices and do not handle the other functions of the modem in the same device as the All-in-One Gateways do. A Seperate router is always going to be able to perform at a higher level than a Gateway will and can give you better results. Otherwise, I can tell you that regardless of these facts, AC speeds of your cable service are not yet supported. The fastest TWC/BH/CHT/Spectrum speed is going to be 300Mbps/20Mbps and that is fully capable of being broadcast using either the Ubee DVW32CB/DDW36C or Technicolor TC8715D/TC8717T models that Spectrum can provide you. Wireless AC networking, while a benefit, will not be useful due to you need EVERY device operating at that level to be able to use it properly. If you have even a single device using 802.11n on your network, that will slow your network down to the speeds of that other device. Granted, 802.11AC operates only at the 5GHz level, you could easily relegate other devices to the 2.4Ghz network, even things like Apple Ipad Air's only have an N300 card inside them that would reduce the speed of an AC capable network to work with the N device.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.