Newcomer

Internet speed soooo slow vs what I pay for

Ran your internet speed test this evening a little after 6:00pm.  Download speed was 46mbps, less than half of the 100mbps I am paying for.  Two-thirds to three--quarters I get, but less than half?

 

My wfi connections are dropping all the time lately.   And yes, i have reset my iphone settings, reset my laptop settings, reset my modem, had spectrum reset my modem, reset my router, reset my smart TV settings, rebooted all of the afore-mentioned devices and checked that all the power cords are plugged in or screwed in.  Then, I grit my teeth as your helpful technician made me do all of that again with the same result > no improvement in wifi speeds.

 

If AT&T offered wifi in my area i would just change services but i am stuck with Spectrum.  I decided to pay $10 more per month to upgrade to 200mbps in hopes that paying more will fix my problem.  But that just kinda ticks me off.  Paying more so i can get the 100mbps or close to it download speed that i am already freaking paying for.

 

Upgrade your network infrastructure much? 

 

3 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Internet speed soooo slow vs what I pay for

What speeds do you get when you have one pc hard wired directly to the modem? ( with no router in play)

To improve wireless performance, do a site survey and see how many neighbors are using channels 1, 6, and 11. If your neighbors are using these channels, then select 3/4 or 8/9.
Spectrum Employee

Re: Internet speed soooo slow vs what I pay for


dstoffa wrote:
What speeds do you get when you have one pc hard wired directly to the modem? ( with no router in play)

This is good advice.

 

Gotta check what wired/ethernet speed is from the modem first.  If that's more than 80% off (20% less than quoted "up to" sales speed you're paying for) then it's time to schedule an appointment to investigate why. The most most common causes are: fiber node utilization in peak hours, ingress & egress leakage, RF signal power levels, customer-owned hardware failure, and office-side/billing-system coding&provisioning.

 

 

 


dstoffa wrote:
To improve wireless performance, do a site survey and see how many neighbors are using channels 1, 6, and 11. If your neighbors are using these channels, then select 3/4 or 8/9.

This is bad advice.

 

Adjacent channel inference is  noticable worse than co-channel or utilization for causing 2.5 GHz band WiFi issues.  In a perfect world, every neighbor would neatly choose a non-overlapping/non-adjacent channel to broadcast on.  In reality, people follow naive bad advice like that above an causing even more issues for both themselves and their neighbors.  I can get a lot more technical as to why this matters, or why the 5.0 GHz doesn't really suffer from adjacent inference issues like the 2.4 GHz does; but in short, please ONLY use 1, 6, or 11.  If you're in Japan or China, can use 1, 6, 11, 14; but the FCC doesn't allow channel 14 in the USA)

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: Internet speed soooo slow vs what I pay for


agentx5 wrote:

dstoffa wrote:
To improve wireless performance, do a site survey and see how many neighbors are using channels 1, 6, and 11. If your neighbors are using these channels, then select 3/4 or 8/9.

This is bad advice.

 

Adjacent channel inference is  noticable worse than co-channel or utilization for causing 2.5 GHz band WiFi issues.  In a perfect world, every neighbor would neatly choose a non-overlapping/non-adjacent channel to broadcast on.  In reality, people follow naive bad advice like that above an causing even more issues for both themselves and their neighbors.  I can get a lot more technical as to why this matters, or why the 5.0 GHz doesn't really suffer from adjacent inference issues like the 2.4 GHz does; but in short, please ONLY use 1, 6, or 11.  If you're in Japan or China, can use 1, 6, 11, 14; but the FCC doesn't allow channel 14 in the USA)


I can't agree with you on this one.  Where I live, when I do a survey, I count no less than 25 wireless networks.  Three quarters of them are 3 bars (of 5) or better, and all but two of them are all on 1, 6, and 11.  Someone is on 8.  I am on 4.

 

All my PC's and media devices are hard-wired.  The internet works awesome on these devices.  Howerver the internet on my portable devices (iPod touch, iPad) used to time-out all the time, or just drop.  When I switched my wireless LAN to run on Channel 4, BAM!!!  No more time-outs.  No more drops.

 

If being on the inside channels is so bad, why does it work for me?

If adjacent-channel interference is worse than co-channel interference, then how come being on 1, 6, or 11 didn't work for me?