Observer

Internet slower than Spectrum claims

I just switched back to Spectrum after being with another provider for a year.  New install of phone, TV and internet.  New modem and new spectrum provided router.  I am supposed to have internet up to 400 Mbps.  I know it is not guaranteed but I expected something close. When I do a speed test using the Spectrum speed test web page it consistently comes back between 95 and 97 Mbps. I had to call about another issue and while I had the customer service rep on the phone I asked about the internet speed. They told me they could test it. They told me the test they just performed showed I was close to 500 Mbps at the modem. They said with me having the upgraded service they always boost the speed above the expected 400 Mbps to account for loss through the router. They said to test this I could plug my desktop (I am using ethernet cable, not wireless connection) directly into the modem bypassing the router to test the speed. I did that and still received 95-97 Mbps. How can they say I am getting 500 Mbps to the modem but the speed test is less than 100? While the technician was there working on my TV he also told me I had a stronger signal than most on my cable line. He tested the wireless speed and said he was getting about 250 Mbps on his cell phone speed test. I did a speed test on my cell phone over the wireless connection and get about 120 Mbps. That is the other confusing part. How can my wireless be faster than a hard wired connecting. And yes, I changed out my ethernet cable to the 6 foot brand new one that came with the router and received the exact same results. Not the cable. I also question why he claims to have faster wireless connection than me. I am standing right next to him 5 feet from the router.

5 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Internet slower than Spectrum claims

@dgrinnan wrote:

I just switched back to Spectrum after being with another provider for a year.  New install of phone, TV and internet.  New modem and new spectrum provided router.  I am supposed to have internet up to 400 Mbps.  I know it is not guaranteed but I expected something close. When I do a speed test using the Spectrum speed test web page it consistently comes back between 95 and 97 Mbps. I had to call about another issue and while I had the customer service rep on the phone I asked about the internet speed. They told me they could test it. They told me the test they just performed showed I was close to 500 Mbps at the modem. They said with me having the upgraded service they always boost the speed above the expected 400 Mbps to account for loss through the router. They said to test this I could plug my desktop (I am using ethernet cable, not wireless connection) directly into the modem bypassing the router to test the speed. I did that and still received 95-97 Mbps. How can they say I am getting 500 Mbps to the modem but the speed test is less than 100? While the technician was there working on my TV he also told me I had a stronger signal than most on my cable line. He tested the wireless speed and said he was getting about 250 Mbps on his cell phone speed test. I did a speed test on my cell phone over the wireless connection and get about 120 Mbps. That is the other confusing part. How can my wireless be faster than a hard wired connecting. And yes, I changed out my ethernet cable to the 6 foot brand new one that came with the router and received the exact same results. Not the cable. I also question why he claims to have faster wireless connection than me. I am standing right next to him 5 feet from the router.

Different devices, different connection types...

What modem and router?

What wireless devices are you using? Are there several devices connected at once when you are testing? Is an icloud backup uploading or software update downloading when you are testing?

Does the desktop have a 10/100  or 10/100/1000 NIC?

Observer

I will have to check the NIC when I get home.  The only WiFi connect devices are a Roku and Netgear WNCE2001 WiFi to Ethernet adapter.  Neither were active during my test.  I suspect I coud have a restiction in my NIC card.  My desktop is an HP that I purchase right before Windows 10 came out.  It was Windows 7 with the Windows 1 upgrade option.  I did install Windows 10.  that being said I am now wondering if my NIC card is old eough it does not support anything faster than 100 Mbps.

Observer

I just ordered a new 10/100/1000 on Amazon. Be here Saturday. Hoping that fixes my speed issue. I will update once I install and test.
Highlighted
Helper

I just bought a new Dell laptop that only has a 10/100 NIC. They are still being used in the lower priced computers. Definitely keep us posted on the outcome.

Sharer

If you got hit by the winupdate receive window glitch, it can throttle your PC back like that. May resolve itself when you install the new NIC, but may want to grab the TCP Optimizer tool from speedguide.net:

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

It is Win10 compliant, as it now uses the NETSH commands (used to just change registry settings, which only addresses part of the problem). Click set things to Windows default. It will do a backup of current settings so you can restore if you want, then prompts for a reboot to apply the changes. This will basically set everything back to the "auto detect" modes, so it will detect any potential chimney options and such to optimize parameters.

As for the differences on different phones.... keep in mind they are different phones. Different chipsets could be in play, could be binding different protocols/speeds. Me and my daughter both have Samsungs... but mine is older and maxes out at 175, while hers can break 600. The opposite is true of my Asus laptop and her Lenovo... I can hit 866, while hers caps at 300.