Rookie

Internet drops often for 10-30s (probably 20+ times a day)

I am unable to work from home or use any online applications which require a persistent connection as I lose connectivity often throughout the day.  I have time warner 200mbps plan.  Speed tests put my connect at ~230 Mbps so there is no throughput issue.  The issue is that the connection is not reliable.

On the event log for my modem I see a lot of messages that indicate many critical issues:

On the connection page I see many uncorrectables on every channel and power levels between -5.0 and -10.0:

I have removed every single connection to everything in the house and have the line from the outside connected directly into the cable modem so there are no issues with splitters or anything like that.  I also have tried 2 seperate modems, a Motorola SB and a Zoom.  Both are Docsis 3.0 and both have the same performance issues and show the same information on connection and the same errors.

I believe the next step is to get a tech out here.  Is there anything I should tell them when they show up that will expedite fixing the issues?  Any other advice?

4 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Internet drops often for 10-30s (probably 20+ times a day)

I have removed every single connection to everything in the house and have the line from the outside connected directly into the cable modem so there are no issues with splitters or anything like that.  I also have tried 2 seperate modems, a Motorola SB and a Zoom.  Both are Docsis 3.0 and both have the same performance issues and show the same information on connection and the same errors.
I believe the next step is to get a tech out here.  Is there anything I should tell them when they show up that will expedite fixing the issues?  Any other advice?

FIRST:  You'll probably get a phone call saying that TWC has pushed new programming into your modem and they see things are working normally now.  DO NOT AGREE WITH THEM!!  Agreeing with them will cancel your service call. 

SECOND:  Print out the error log and signal log from both modems.  When your tech arrives, tell the tech that you've already tried swapping the modem and show the tech that both units display the same errors and line levels.

Expert

The outside line is bad and you're getting severe ingress from local TV ch 29 on 561 mHz.

Get TWC out

Levels are bad for no splitters, line is probably chewed up by the tree rodents and full of water.

It is not a modem issue

Rookie

Thanks for the responses.  The tech replaced the drop from the junction box and the Power levels are around 0 to -3 dbmV now.  The connection seems much more stable.  There is also a secondary issue in the junction box they are coming to fix.  The diagnostic they ran when he first got here showed red in literally every frequency.  Looked good when he left so hopefully I'll be set going forward.

Expert

Copy and paste the new signal levels and print them for your rwecords so you have a working baseline.. You should not be seeing the 3 dB difference between channels 18 mHz apart anymore.. If so there still is another issue they need to fix. probably damaged hardline betweeen the amplifier and pole tap you're on.