Helper

Internet Usage Tracker

For anyone that uses it for anything we all know it hasn't been working right for a while now. It looks as though Spectrum is dropping it altogether next month. It makes sense that Spectrum would do away with the usage meter since there are no data caps and likely never will be under current management.

9 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Internet Usage Tracker

It works correctly for me, as far as I can tell.

I can acutually use it to determine how long the power has been out at my home when I am away, as I will see no usage.  (My Wifi Thermostats tickle the internet, so there is some usage).

To that end, my usage spikes over the 'resting rate" when I am streaming, which is expected.

I'll be sorry to see it go.

Helper

I know Spectrum doesn't want to hear this, but I like to track actual usage just in case I want to switch to an ISP that has caps so I'll know where I stand if I make the decision to move.

Valued Contributor

You would think they would want to keep it from a marketing aspect. Competing providers may charge more past a certain level, providing an incentive to stay.

I know with 3 rokus, two laptops, 3 consoles, and two phones in our household... we can potentially gobble up a lot of bandwidth. Especially now that I don't typically by disc based games any more. Those PS4 downloads that can easily go north of 30GB a pop can add up quick... and looking to buy a second one for my daughter soon.
Rookie

" Starting in July, the View Usage Details feature will no longer be available."

“Starting in July, the View Usage Details feature will no longer be available.”

Why?

We need it.

Where are we supposed to get it on the Spectrum website?

This is not acceptable!

Highlighted
Helper

Re: " Starting in July, the View Usage Details feature will no longer be available."

@gmanchen wrote:

“Starting in July, the View Usage Details feature will no longer be available.”

Why?

We need it.

Where are we supposed to get it on the Spectrum website?

This is not acceptable!

Technically we don't need it since Spectrum doesn't have data caps. There are other ways to track usage though. Some routers will track it for you.

Rookie

Re: " Starting in July, the View Usage Details feature will no longer be available."

Now you're telling me what I need, eh? Feh!
My router doesn't. I can't afford the expense of another router, especially after Spectrum raised the price of my ELP plan $5.00/month.
And that doesn't address my question of WHY Spectrum had to remove a useful feature from my account page!
Helper

I'm not saying it isn't useful for you. It's useful to me as well. I don't want it to go away either. The question as to WHY Spectrum is removing it is directly related to how they run their business. Their business model is no data caps. If there is no data cap why should they, as a business, keep incurring an expense to monitor and maintain it?

Participant

If anybody at Spectrum cares, I think the View Usage Details feature should remain.
Valued Contributor

@Boz1

Agreed... even if it is something different, it would be nice to have some way of verifying usage for at least a short window like the last couple months.

If it hadn't been for the tracker and curiosity when paying my bill online a while back, I might not have stumbled on the fact that my mom was leaving the old puck style rokus streaming all the time. Literally, like around the clock! She would leave the downstairs one going when she went up to bed, and then leave the one in her bedroom streaming when she fell asleep and/or got up the next morning.

Needless to say, our usage had shot through the roof! Had to setup the router's reboot scheduled to dump the connections at night. Thankfully, we use sticks now, and they either power off directly when the ports power down or via the CEC features of the TV. I still use the router's reboot scheduler though. Kinda nice to have it flush things out periodically.