Observer

Re: Internet Hop in TW router causing drop in connection

Another:

08061530.JPG

Valued Contributor

@Mikepierce93 wrote:
Im having a similar problem with my home connection. But this is just basic service in general. Our connection drops 5 times a day, that we notice. The router and extenders have to reconnect, because "loss of internet".
Replaced the modem, with no change, same with router.
Its never down for long. But, its a pain. I wonder if this is TWC, testing throttling, that they paid (aka bribed) the FTC Chair, POTUS and others for. Anyway, does anyone know of a monitoring tool i can use? I could set up a ping or tracert with logging, but think i would get the standard "We at TWC do not believe in QOS, just pay us an shut up" type answer.

This sounds more like a localised signal quality issue and not a packet routing issue.  Would be better to start your own thread and post the modem signal levels and log there for review.  This could very well be fixed with local techs, where as the OP' s issue is something that needs to be investigated further upstream  through a higher tier of support.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Yes, it's interesting that the user says his WiFi extenders are complaining about a loss of internet when they are supposed to be operating solely within his private home LAN.  Would be like my car's engine stopping in my driveway just because there's a traffic backup on the interstate 5 miles away.   And the router shouldn't be barking either, unless it is trying to maintain a phantom path to a remote internet server site.  Microsoft and Google are both known for that kind of behind-the-scenes file sharing traffic, but their error messages come from the computer, not the network devices. 

Valued Contributor

Looking at those ping plots,  this may actually be a problem more from the Level3/Century Link side.  Haven't lookedat the terminal style images you posted earlier because they are really small on the phone.  For future reference, may want copy/paste the actual text of cmd prompt or terminal traces directly in your posts... makes it easier for contributers to review, as well as making it easier for the community team to forward the data when requesting escalation.

Note that the problems occur between Level3 and Spectrum/TWC nodes...after you have left your more local market... on the other side of a peering exchange.  Since it is happening on the other side of the peering chain, it puts it into a strange gray area for review.  Not a localized issue for your home market to investigate directly, and the same may apply from the other end as well.  This may very well require a collaborated effort between Level3 and Spectrum to investigate... unless the endpoint admins were to strongarm a change to an alternate peer like Cogent, TATA, etc. (provided such an option exists...it may still fall to a higher authority to do so).