Installing own modem, stopping phone service. 2 modems

I’m contemplating stopping Spectrum phone service. Currently have the combo modem, phone, modem and WIFI. Using a splitter, can I connect my modem, get it authenticated, move my internet to the new modem and just leave the phone on the Spectrum modem for testing? I work from home and don’t  want to make any quick changes that would knock be off line. Basically asking if you can run multiple modems.

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Valued Participant

Re: Installing own modem, stopping phone service. 2 modems

You can get rid of phone and use your own modem. Price might go up if you are on a promo.

You can keep phone and use your own modem using splitter. The only thing on the phone modem that will work is the phone. . Use your own modem and router to not have a $5 wifi fee.

you can keep phone and not even have phone modem plugged in while using your own modem. Do this if getting rid of phone wrecks your package price.

Expert

level permitting, yes...

Post existing modems signal level page

If DS is -3 or better and US is below +46  it should handle a 3.5 dB splitter loss

OK doing some additional investigation. Seems TWC will want to charge you for each internet connection, modem.  But, will not charge you for a modem for phone service. So, I have both so being charge modem rental. So if I just have phone service, no charge. Phone service and internet, monthly modem rental —— IT’S THE SAME DEVICE!! I just want to verify my data connection on a new owned modem works befork cancelling phone and returning TWC modem.

Expert

They won't charge you unless you have them come out and put in the splitter...  They won't turn on 2 at once for data, theirs stays on for phone at no rental charge, yours is the data one, also at no rental charge. So you save the rental fees  Don't need to return their modem until you cancell the phone service

Since you had a combo unit, are you replacing it hopefully with a seperate modem and router?

That also saves you their $5 a month wifi rental fee.

Copy and paste the existing modems signal level pages.

Helper

Just note that if you're currently still on an old legacy TWC plan you will likely be forced to a new Spectrum plan if you want to drop phone service altogether.