Not applicable

Impossible to get TW wifi that doesn't change IP addresses every 5 seconds without a business accoun

I just got a Time Warner residential account and despite the fact that Time Warner knew I would need to connect to VPNs, they are now saying that wi-fi access IP addresses change every 5 seconds and the only way around this is to get a business account that will end up costing us $120 more a month. Does anyone know if there is any workaround to this. 

We had ATT at our old house and they would just change the IP address when the router was reset (so VPN was functional even though we didn't have a truly static IP address). We would really like to stay with Time Warner though, but this would be a deal-brea

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Impossible to get TW wifi that doesn't change IP addresses every 5 seconds without a business ac

your ip address is locked to your routers mac address and the router generates DHCP  ip's on the lan side

if you randomly connect single terminal devices to a modem without a router, the public ip's change somewhat.

You might see a public IP change if twc changes out CMTS servers or rebuilds a data base... the one I have now has been the same for a year when they moved us from 100 mhz qam slots up into 1he 600's and went to 16 channels

I'm running a VOIP ap on a linux box, it hasn't lost comms in 3-5 years and that's been with 3 IP's.

I doubt you're running public wifi but are actually using a home wireless network. DHCP lease should be set for 24 hours unlike public wifi's 1 hour

Established Sharer

Re: Impossible to get TW wifi that doesn't change IP addresses every 5 seconds without a business ac

Sure, don't use TWC Wifi.  Use a cable modem with no router built-in, like the SB 6141 or SB 6183 (best if you own it yourself and shave the $10 cable modem lease fee off your bill) and use your own wireless router (plenty of good ones to choose from).  The dynamic IP address assigned to your cable modem will change periodically (mine changes 3-4 times per year), and when that changes your VPN will drop and you'll need to re-connect, but I imagine that you can handle a drop every 3 months or so.

Expert

Also, you can't run multiple wired or wireless devices thru a vpn with out one of the routers that has VPN steering. There's a cisco biz class one that can do that, but, the issue is that twc will only give you a single public IP on residential service.. Biz class can be several seperate IP's

Established Sharer

Dhyerwolf wrote:

I just got a Time Warner residential account and despite the fact that Time Warner knew I would need to connect to VPNs, they are now saying that wi-fi access IP addresses change every 5 seconds

-----------

Don't know WHO told you that, but is is TOTALLY not true.

Expert

DaKat wrote:

Dhyerwolf wrote:

I just got a Time Warner residential account and despite the fact that Time Warner knew I would need to connect to VPNs, they are now saying that wi-fi access IP addresses change every 5 seconds

-----------

Don't know WHO told you that, but is is TOTALLY not true.

if it did change every 5 minutes there would be no internet service