Participant

I started noticing some comments on Docsis 3.1

[ Edited ]

Hello,

This is more just a curiosity question.  I noticed some remarks from Charter corporate about upgrading to Docsis 3.1.  I was curious if anyone elese knows anything?  Thinking about upgrading my modem.  I was using the DG860A modem.  I was doing well with the 8x4 channel bonding.  My speeds always a constant 60x6 connection.  Then I upgraded the modem to a DG1670A.  My channel bonding jumped to the full 16x4.  Then my speeds got a nice little boost.  I am now always around 71x6 down/up.    So then I was pondering the idea of the getting the SB6190.  However, if Charter jumps to 3.1.  Then that would be a pointless move..   

10 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: I started noticing some comments on Docsis 3.1

This is more just a curiosity question.  I noticed some remarks from Charter corporate about upgrading to Docsis 3.1.  I was curious if anyone elese knows anything?

I certainly don't "know" anything, and anyone in Charter/Spectrum/TWC land that does know the plan almost certainly can't talk about it until it is rolled out (and even then, won't be able to tell you when it will be rolled out to other areas outside the original deployment site).

But I'll gaze into my crystal ball and see what it says.... it says not before 2020, if ever.  That makes sense to me, Charter just committed a whole lot of capital into the TWC and BrightHouse acquisition ("merger" is just polite talk, a way to fool the uninformed), so the odds of them committing many billiions to a DOCSIS 3.1 system-wide upgrade are slim and none.  It's time to trap as many people as possible into a Spectrum plan at a higher price than their previous TWC or BrightHouse plans and bring in revenue by the truckload.  Once all of the slush-fund coffers are filled to overflowing again, some sort of system upgrade might  be considered.

Expert

3.1 adds in IPTV that they're not going to allow for a long time...

It allows 2 seperate banks of channels with broadcast ones for  cable tv service, sort of how Uverse is kinda configured.

But, since they still haven't gotten IPv6 working and their DNS is a mess, and the ier use of pipeline routing is a huge issue, they're not going to use 3.1

All the outside plant needs to be replaced as well, it was obsolete 15 years ago!

They'll go to FIOS first...

My  2 cents....

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

If you read the previous thread asking about DOCSIS3.1 compatibility and availability on TWC, you'll see that DOCSIS3.1 requires a major disruptive change to the existing network spectrum plan.  It will require a large pot of gold for additional equipment and several years to install and implement.

Worse yet for users, the FCC could then allow all cable TV+internet carriers like TWC-> Spectrum to block all streaming video program content from their internet service and require internet subscribers to purchase IPTV service separately.  That's the Catch 22  of cutting the cable when your cable company is also your internet provider.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

milkman wrote:

Hello,

This is more just a curiosity question.  I noticed some remarks from Charter corporate about upgrading to Docsis 3.1.

=========

Charter was 'plotting docsis 3.1' more than a year ago.  I DON'T see them going there any time soon, based on their rollback of some of the advanced things TWC had, but Spectrum doesn't offer.  AND it would cost them a bunch.

Maybe in a few years, when Docsis 3.2 is available they'll go 3.1, or when 4.0 is common.

Expert

My speed went up when TWC fixed the node loading by splitting it as well as moving data channels from the FM broadcast band up to the high UHF channels and fixing a neighbors upstream ingress noise.

Observer

I concur. Their DNS is a bit of a mess. So what I did was I set up a VPS which is hosted off site and off their network. The intent of that particular vps is just for DNS only and nothing more. I find it easier to handle alot of that myself so if there is any issues, I do not have to wait to chat with someone about what is going on. As for the IPv6, I cannot testify to that. I know that I am still on IPv4 and would prefer to keep it that way. My router does not support IPv6. I however do have plans to upgrade that this week. I use my own equipment (minus the cable modem) to run my network due to control and security reasons.

If you have the time and skill to set up your own DNS, then I would suggest using a VPS such as interserver.net or togglebox. They seem to be reliable.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

@aingers2

Are you sure you replied to the proper thread?? Your comments don't seem to relate to TWC and DOCSIS 3.1

Expert

no, it's all stuff they need to fix before boasting about IPTV and docsis 3.1...

3.1 doesn't need the 45-88mhz band to run, newer docsis 3 modems will do 45-88, just that TWC's outside plant needs a lot of USA amps and filters to be replaced, many of their amp housings like the Augats are obsolete and won't support new modules, lol.  It's why many of us have no splitter upstream levels at +48 dBmv... there's only an US amp in every 3rd or 4th amp housing (that was replaced 10 years ago, all the interinm ones are DS only 40 year old housings.. We also have bare, unjacketed aluminum hardline...

Helper

Yes in their earnings call they said they have the ability to get to Docsis 3.1, they need to get to 3 and replace a boatload of obsolete modem to even properly be set up for 3.0 you won't see any DOCSIS 3.1 from these folks for a decade, they DO NOT DO CAPEX.