Highlighted

I need some answers regarding with ISP

So iv'e just recently looked throught posts on here that could have helped me find some answers but raised more questions. So to start off:

1)  Modem fee
      -So iv'e just noticed that i was being charged $10 fee for the wifi/modem ( Ubee/Ambit DVW32CB) that was given to me after being told that i had to upgrade my modem  that i had at the time. This was like around early 2014 and I have a router that i owen that is being used that's connected to the ubee. Now while looking through here, I see that since TWC is now Spectrum that theyre not doing the rental fees. With only the internet comes out to $59 but with the fef comes out to $69.So my question is are there any certain actions I can take to mitigate this situation?

2) Internet plan
     -While looking what type of internet plan I have, (ex. 100/10Mbps) the only thing i can see is that I have Extreme Speed plan. So, by the looks of things there has been changes of the plans by Spectrum? I reside in CA so im not sure if it varies state to state. I also did a speed test ; with my own router it pulls a 69downstream and with just the ubee pulls 36downstream. The upstream is a constant 5 for both. So my question is what type of speed am i supposed to be getting? lol

3) I can buy my own modem?
      -I've been seeing that i can buy my own modem but there is talk that like there are troubles with firmware or that the isp arent able to  give services due to not being their modem. So if i where to get a modem, what would be the best bang for the buck?

Your responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Smiley Very Happy

6 REPLIES
Contributor

Re: I need some answers regarding with ISP

[ Edited ]

Heartbreakid wrote:

So iv'e just recently looked throught posts on here that could have helped me find some answers but raised more questions. So to start off:

1)  Modem fee
      -So iv'e just noticed that i was being charged $10 fee for the wifi/modem ( Ubee/Ambit DVW32CB) that was given to me after being told that i had to upgrade my modem  that i had at the time. This was like around early 2014 and I have a router that i owen that is being used that's connected to the ubee. Now while looking through here, I see that since TWC is now Spectrum that theyre not doing the rental fees. With only the internet comes out to $59 but with the fef comes out to $69.So my question is are there any certain actions I can take to mitigate this situation?

2) Internet plan
     -While looking what type of internet plan I have, (ex. 100/10Mbps) the only thing i can see is that I have Extreme Speed plan. So, by the looks of things there has been changes of the plans by Spectrum? I reside in CA so im not sure if it varies state to state. I also did a speed test ; with my own router it pulls a 69downstream and with just the ubee pulls 36downstream. The upstream is a constant 5 for both. So my question is what type of speed am i supposed to be getting? lol

3) I can buy my own modem?
      -I've been seeing that i can buy my own modem but there is talk that like there are troubles with firmware or that the isp arent able to  give services due to not being their modem. So if i where to get a modem, what would be the best bang for the buck?

Your responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Smiley Very Happy

1.  The Modem Fee.  If you are still on a TWC Legacy Internet Plan, you are either renting a modem from them for a fee, or you can buy one to get rid of the fee.  I beleive TWC will charge an additional fee for WiFi in your home if you use their (rented) equipment.  New Spectrum plans include the modem (but not wifi).

2.  I understand that Spectrum has only two plans.  TWC had more.  If you leave your TWC plan, you won't be able to go back to it later.

3.  I am not sure how buying your own modem will work currently if you are on a legacy TWC plan.  They might say, "We will provide you a modem and migrate you to a Spectrum plan."   Or they might let you activate your own modem on your current plan.

TWC had a list of compatible modems.  If you do buy a modem, make sure it is in retail packaging, and not in a "brown box".  Amazon usually has them.

If you take their "free" modem, have them disable it's internal wi-fi and use your OWN router / AP for Wi-Fi in your home.

Sharer

[ Edited ]

- Generally there are only 2 internet plans offered under Spectrum: Standard and Ultra. Speeds of those plans differ depending on your location.

- You can buy your own modem without impacting your TWC legacy plan. Just get one that is on the approved list so they send the correct firmware updates. If you want the "free" modem then you will have to switch to a Spectrum plan.

If you take their "free" modem, have them disable it's internal wi-fi and use your OWN router / AP for Wi-Fi in your home.  YES! This will have you the wifi fee.

UPDATE: Yes I meant save, not have...stupid fat fingers...

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

reds91185 wrote:

- Generally there are only 2 internet plans offered under Spectrum: Standard and Ultra. Speeds of those plans differ depending on your location.

- You can buy your own modem without impacting your TWC legacy plan. Just get one that is on the approved list so they send the correct firmware updates. If you want the "free" modem then you will have to switch to a Spectrum plan.

If you take their "free" modem, have them disable it's internal wi-fi and use your OWN router / AP for Wi-Fi in your home.  YES! This will have you the wifi fee.

@Heartbreakid  Yes, a customer can buy (and must maintain) both their own modem and router in lieu of renting that equipment from TWC.

@reds91185  I think you intended to say that if you tell TWC to disable the WiFi  in their all-in-one modem so your external router provides the WiFi signals in your home, you will NOT pay a WiFi surcharge. 

After the recent TWC 2017 rate increase, most service plans charge $8 per month for the modem itself and $5 more for WiFi.  We believe only Spectrum includes the modem in their base internet charge, and they do charge extra for providing WiFi  from their modem.

[ Edited ]

@karlbeckman @reds91185 @dstoffa So ive been checking and for my area and they only have a plan that goes up to 100/10Mbps (idk if its guranteed) thats $45 for 12months. im not sure what the regular coast is so ill have to check on that. But since I have an old plan, is it worth upgrading to that spectrum plan?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Heartbreakid wrote:

@karlbeckman @reds91185 @dstoffa So ive been checking and for my area and they only have a plan that goes up to 100/10Mbps (idk if its guranteed) thats $45 for 12months. im not sure what the regular coast is so ill have to check on that. But since I have an old plan, is it worth upgrading to that spectrum plan?

There is no speed guarantee, just a celing with regards to speed.  If 5 milltion people in your neighborhood are watching Netflix at the same time, you won't be getting 100 Mbps down, that's for sure.

TThe $44.99 / mo. is most likely a teaser rate for NEW internet subscribers.  Even though you may be new to Spectrum, you might not be new enough, and might not qualify.

Go to this website:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/account-and-billing/topics/retail-rates.html

and enter your zip code.  Options should appear which will allow you to select the rate card for your area.  Full Retail Rates will be displayed.  This would be the MOST you would pay for a service.

If you are happy with the service you have now, I wouldn't mess with it.  Just buy your own modem and use your own router.  I am currently subscribing to a legacy "Everyday Low Price" Internet package (3 up / 1 down) at $14.99 / mo.  It works for me.  I also own my own modem.  I have no intention of upgrading for the right to pay $59.99 / mo. retail.  (Actually, I'd get a $6 / mo. discount with a TV package, but I can't justify the extra $$ for something I do not need)

Oh yeah now i see. You have a good point. I remeber seeing those ultimate upgrade options. But yeah im happy with my current internet so i wont mess. I was just curiouse since i play online through pc.  Last question in regards in choosing a modem, while under the approved list can i get like a higer speed modem? would it make any diffrence? would there bee like bottlenecking or similar like? (for example, if i were to get a netgear cm600 would there be a noticeable diffrence?)