I have grandfathered Time Warner Maxx service and I am moving

As I said, I have grandfathered Time Warner Maxx 300/20 service and I'm moving to a location that used to have it before the Spectrum merger. Can I keep my service when I move? I am heavily dependent on the upload speeds (cloud backups, etc.) and from what I can tell, even the Spectrum 100mbps plan is limited to 5mbps upload.
12 REPLIES
Expert

Re: I have grandfathered Time Warner Maxx service and I am moving

how far are you moving and in what state?

I am currently in Louisville, KY and next month I will be moving to Jeffersonville, IN - right across the river. First time I looked at the plans over there was before the the merger had taken effect and they were offering TWC Maxx.
Expert

Many of those announcements were cancelled in April May 2016

Spectrum has no legal reason to give you anything faster than 60/6 or 100/10.

In some areas they are fleecing people another $199 for a supposed "upgrade" to the 300/20 service.

What I mean is, since I have it now, if I were to transfer my service to the new location, would I be able to keep the same service at the new apartment?
Expert

No, grandfathered means just that, it's your old account at the original location.

Post the new zip code, maybe a peer here has actual speeds available in that area

If no one has the 100/10, 200/20 or 300/20, you're plain out of luck. Spectrum is a different company and doesn't have to honor anything TWC or Charter offered.

Is there anyone in the xxxxx zip code that has 100/10, 200/20 or 300/20 on either system?

Andif available, to do the transfer, Spectrum will be charging you the $199 "upgrade" fee if the 200/20 or 300/20 is available in that area.

They do provide the modems and are providing obsolete 8x4 modems for the 60/6 and 100/10 plans, unknown what for 200/300 speeds, the 8x4's won't work well if at all.

BTW, once you change, there's no going back...

Sharer

loofkid1 wrote:
What I mean is, since I have it now, if I were to transfer my service to the new location, would I be able to keep the same service at the new apartment?

I doubt it.

You are moving across state lines, and for all intents and purposes, are not really moving your service within the same area / on the same (cable) system, even though both systems are owned by the same parent.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

Also remember that Spectrum does not offer the same channels that TWC did in any of their three service tier packages.  Some of the channnels that TWC carries today are not offered at all by Spectrum.  Others are HD-1080 on TWC but only as 480 SDTV on Spectrum.  Read the fine print seeveral times.  Spectrum's thirty day money-back trial does NOT include reconnecting to TWC!  Once you leave TWC there is no way to switch back to them EVER AGAIN!  

Participant

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

Spectrum has no legal reason to give you anything faster than 60/6 or 100/10.

In some areas they are fleecing people another $199 for a supposed "upgrade" to the 300/20 service.

Not only on the 300/20. Of course whats actually available is completely random according to your area but the 'upgrade' charge is basically applicable for ANYTHING above whatever the basic tier in that area is. So for me, to go from my current 60 to 100/10 would still cost $199.

Highlighted
Observer

This is fully incorrect information. Customers that currently have the 300mbps service will be able to transfer that service and remain on their legacy services if they choose and no $199.99 fee is charged in that case. Period. This is true of all transfers, even including video.