I am in area code 27278 and have Extreme Internet - what speed ?

Hi -  I connect to my PC using wifi at 5G.  I am wondering how much I lose by not using ethernet.  I can't tell because I do not know the max speed I should get with ethernet and my Extreme package.  Can I be pretty sure that I am losing something by using wifi even if the signal is strong ?

I have the impression that "Extreme Internet" is just a generic term for the next to top speed  (Ultimate) and that what you get depends on which TWC/Spectrum area you are in.  Is That true?

7 REPLIES
Highlighted
Spectrum Employee

Re: I am in area code 27278 and have Extreme Internet - what speed ?

If you're willing to share your modem's error log page, then I can check what its max provisioning (upload & download Mbps) is for you -- that should give you a useful answer.

No rush, today is a day off Smiley Happy  When it comes to WiFi, it always is more lossy than ethernet (if the reverse is ever true, then something's broken with the ethernet NIC or the wire itself).  Gamers, including myself, should definitely be using wired, not wireless.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.

I went into my modem and found a "system log" but could find no "error log"

Established Sharer

A few more pieces of information will let us add another dimension to the reply.  Tell us the model number of the modem and router and of the WiFi card and speed of the ethernet port in your computer.  At the least we need to know or be able to look up the speed capability on each WiFi band (2.4G and 5G) - as an example, 802.11 type AC, or N, or G, or ABGN, etc. Then we can estimate the range of speeds available and compare them against an ethernet cable.

Expert

If you are not having issues, there's not a problem, lol...

Why aren't you running ethernet?

What do you see when running speedtests from the TWC link?

PC has Gigabit ethernet,  wifi is 802.11AC.

Arris TG1672G-TW  Docsis 3 router/modem.

I do not know what speed I am paying for.  It's in my package.

Expert

Established Sharer

Two items:

The down and up speeds you are being charged for should appear on your monthly bill.

Some modem makers do use the name "SYSTEM LOG' where others call it the "EVENT LOG" or "ERROR LOG".  That's the one MsRaye is looking for, it will include some cryptic terms along with text descriptions of the conditions your modem is experiencing.