Newcomer

How to make internet connection not available during certain hours?

Is there a way to set up on Spectrum/TWC side (like via web portal) to make internet connection not available during certain hours every day? I want to make the whole connection not available; I'm not looking to download McAfee for parental control.

5 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: How to make internet connection not available during certain hours?

@kc99 wrote:

Is there a way to set up on Spectrum/TWC side (like via web portal) to make internet connection not available during certain hours every day? I want to make the whole connection not available; I'm not looking to download McAfee for parental control.

Why would you ever want to do that?   You'd have to use a different internet connection to re-activate it should you need to.

Better routers can be set to block devices from accessing the internet based on time of day as a function of their MAC address.

You could always put the modem or router in a locked room with an electronic timer on its power supply...  kind of like those lamp timers for when you are away.

WiFi systems (mesh) like Luma and Orbi allow you to pause internet access via an app on your tablet or smartphone. 

Helper

@dstoffa wrote:

@kc99 wrote:

You could always put the modem or router in a locked room with an electronic timer on its power supply...  kind of like those lamp timers for when you are away.

I like this idea!

Proven Sharer

@reds91185 wrote:

@dstoffa wrote:

@kc99 wrote:

I like this idea!

Just make sure you don't employ one with a mechanical barrel timer...  If the power should go out, your timer will be out of sync.  Better use a digital one with a battery backup for the clock.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Heavy-Digital-Programmable-Timer/dp/B00MVF16JG

has an internal battery to maintain the clock.

Proven Sharer

Also remember that to receive updated internet channel assignments your modem must be powered up between 1AM and 5AM.  If your modem fails to respond to a certain number of update attempts, it may be dropped from the sequence.  So leave the modem available during the wee small hours, switch the router+WiFi power supply on and off instead.  Most router manufacturers require device owners to manually download and install any feature updates or security patches.