Highlighted
Rookie

How can I test my internet/bandwidth usage over the course of 1 week?

Spectrum technician I talked to said he no longer has access to a testing tool he used to use for this purpose.  My router is basic and doesn't provide any bandwidth monitoring tools either.  Is there a safe and effective third-party app that I could use?

3 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: How can I test my internet/bandwidth usage over the course of 1 week?

@Sash634 wrote:

Spectrum technician I talked to said he no longer has access to a testing tool he used to use for this purpose.  My router is basic and doesn't provide any bandwidth monitoring tools either.  Is there a safe and effective third-party app that I could use?

You need to:

1.  Install bandwidth monitors on each client connected to your LAN.  While doeable for PCs and laptops, it is difficult if not impossible for steaming boxes, gaming devices, and other wireless devices.  You then need to add up the usage tracked on each client.

2.  Turn on the bandwidth monitor on your gateway / router.  If your rotuer does not offer bandwidth monitoring, you could see if you could flash it with firmware that does monitor traffic.  Else, you'll need to buy a router that does support bandwidth monitoring.

Helper

Agree with @dstoffa that to be able to track usage accurately you would need either an update to your existing router's firmware (which probably doesn't have a usage tracker either) or you would need to replace your router to a model that does have this feature.

Here's a link to an article that discusses this and gives some suggestions as to what routers are able to track data usage.

Routers That Can Monitor Data Bandwidth Usage

Established Sharer

One reason that Spectrum removed their previous bandwidth monitoring tool was that they don't have a bandwidth limit.  If you are using some external resource that does impose data limits, check with them to see if they can recommend a specific software tool to check your compliance with their daily, weekly, or monthly limits.  Or if you are concerned that someone has hijacked access to your connection via WiFi, check with your router manufacturer for the latest firmware security patches and setup techniques you can use to protect your home network from intruders.  Allowing only connections from known MAC addresses can resolve many security breaches.