Occasional Contributor
psongman

Hooking a new cable modem with a wireless router, all-in-one to my HDTV?

OK, I have spent all evening researching hooking up the cable modem to the HDTV. I must not be grasping something, or it is so easy that I am jumping over a simple procedure. So, you have a Motorola SBG6580 cable modem with wireless router included. How do you send the signal to your HDTV? I cant seem to fathom how to do this? I can see that  there is an out to the computer via the ethernet cable but how do I get the signal from the wireless to the HDTV. I know a poster will comment with a matter-of-fact answer, but for the life of me, I am not getting a handle on this connection. Anyway, will await your expertise, mucho appreciated, RD

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dlsayremn

Re: Hooking a new cable modem with a wireless router, all-in-one to my HDTV?

What is the make and model of the HDTV?

Unless it is a newer HDTV that has internet capability (USB port) or built-in wifi, you will need to buy aa adaptor to convert Wifi to HDMI, DVI, or VGA.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
Shryp

I think most TVs are ethernet only and not Wifi. If you are lucky enough to have Wifi on the TV it will probably let you set it up through one of the TV menus. If not you will need an adapter to convert wifi to ethernet. Stand alone adapters are a bit more expensive though. Some wireless routers can be set to a bridge mode that turns the wireless router into an adapter with 4-5 ethernet ports on it. Most need third party firmware, but I think a few do it with stock firmware. Newegg sells some for under $20 that can be configured that way.

The simplest way would be get yourself a long ethernet cable and run it from your router to your TV. This may or may not be a viable option for you depending on how far the 2 are apart and how creative you want to get with running wires. Most cables are much cheaper online that in the store. I saw a 50 foot ethernet cable for $5 on Newegg the other day.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
czarboom

to agree with the others, if your TVs not wifi enabled then you cant connect to it unless you build a wifi adapter.  But your in luck, with most TVs, (not all) google offers a device called Chromecast by google allows almost any device to use your Wifi to connect to your TV.  I havent dug into the tech papers on it, but so far the response seems positive.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
psongman

Wow, thanks so much for the replies, sorry I didnt get back to the thread as someone in the family got sick. So, lets narrow this down. I guess I am going to get a newer but used computer, that has wireless already. So, to keep it on topic. If you use the cable modem signal coming in, how do you get it to the TV with the best connection possible? I mean, I am thinking about getting a ROKU too at the same time and do this properly. So, to summarize, how do you get the signal to the HDTV....am assuming a lot of people have this setup. so those that do, please reply, thanks, appreciate your assistance, RD

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
psongman

Theres no ethernet connection on the TV, not sure why everyone keeps stating that. There are 4 HDMI ports and an antenna cable. Of course, there is an HDMI cable from the digital box to the back of the TV. Please keep assisting, want to do this properly, thanks, RD
Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
Shryp

No ethernet on the TV? Well, what kind of signal are you trying to get to the TV? And what is the model number of the TV?

Please use plain text.
JD
Occasional Contributor
JD

You need to give more information.  What are you EXACTLY wanting to do on your HDTV? Netflix? YouTube? 

If that is the case, you simply need a device that has (1) an HDMI out to connect to your TV, (2) a wireless or ethernet connection to connect to your router, and (3) all the services you want to view on your TV.  

A Roku box should give you this type of functionality.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
psongman

Thanks so much for the responses. My HDTV is a Sharp LC-47SB57UT. I now realize that getting a Roku would make sense as it could supplement my other TWC stuff. I also want to get a MagicJack so probably getting some kind of router would make sense. My computer area is only 6 feet from my HDTV. So, can I stay on a wired route or would it make sense to go wireless? Right now, I have no router at all on any of my setups. So, please chime in on best scenarios that would get the best connection and strongest signal, appreciate your help, RD

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
Shryp

[ Edited ]

I looked briefly on Amazon and your TV is just a basic TV with no internet functionality so your TV can't be directly connected to the internet. Fear not though as you can still get a Roku or other type of media center box and connect that to the internet and to your TV.

If you are only 6 feet from your computer I would go with ethernet and not worry about wireless unless there is some specific reason you can't run a cable from the TV to the computer. Get yourself a cheap $20 - $50 router and they will have wireless, but you can disable it if you are not using it right now. They will have 1 input port on the back and 4 output ports. Plug the modem into the WAN/input port and then plug your computer and Roku into 2 of the output/LAN ports. This will let those 2 items connect to the internet at the same time and still leave 2 more slots open for future use.

I would recommend looking around Amazon or Newegg for deals on routers and ethernet cables. I picked up one of these on sale a while back for like $17 with free shipping and it has worked fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166064

I just got one of these in today because I wanted a bit of an upgrade, but haven't hooked it up yet. It was on sale for $20 recently with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166072

If you order one make sure to get a few extra ethernet cables too. Get a tape measure and see how long of ones you need for what you are planning and then just search by price and go with whatever is cheapest and has free shipping. They had some 3 foot ones for $0.99 with free shipping when I ordered my stuff. You will need one from the modem to the router, one from the router to the computer, one from the router to the Roku and then one for your magic jack if you get that. You already have one between your modem and computer now and most routers come with one, but extras are always useful.

Please use plain text.