Observer

Home Wifi

There are a wide arrange of equipment when it comes to WIFI. There are things to consider when it comes to what you want and how far the range should be. Most people would be fine with the wifi setup that TWC provides. However, there are those of us who would want to increase range and speed of the network. So with that in mind, I would make the following suggestions:

First

If you are planning on covering a wide area for your network then you would probably require a range extender or a omni directional antanae. The omni directional antanae has a range of upwards to 2 miles. However you can go a little cheaper and that will cover less distance. I should note that the max distance is assuming there are no obstructions in the way such as trees, metal fencing, etc. Now if you need to cover your whole property then you could also add a repeater or two to boost the signal. Again there are a wide variety of repeaters available to use.

Second

The second option you could use would be a router with a wifi access point. The wifi access point would allow you to keep the router in one room while running an ethernet cable to the WAP (Wireless Access Point). You could position the WAP in such a way to where you could get maximum distance.  However, I would suggest that if you go this route to make sure that the WAP is gigabit capable. That would allow you to take full advantage of the speed of the network and internet connection speed as well. That of course is assuming that you have a gigabit router already.

Third

This option would be easier in most cases. You would need to purchase a router with a range on it that would suit your needs. This is the all in one method and most people typically use this because it is a tad bit easier to configure and support. You can get this configuration at your local deparment store or electronics store.

Fouth

Your final option is to use the equipment provided by the Cable Company. This will take guess work out of configuration and support since the cable company supports the equipment that they provide.

No matter which way you choose to go with this, I cannot stress the importances of security on the network. (See my post on WIFI Security).

9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Home Wifi

#1 is not legal and does not work anyway. the speed of light at 186,000 mps isthe limitting factor as bytes can't be simultaneously transmitted at high speeds and get error checking back. You can get 2 miles at maybe 5 megs. Practical range at 54 megs is maybe 1000 feetwith a quality highly directionalantenna. The junk from China on ebay is misadvertised. I've tested a couple of their supposed hi gain antenna's and find they don't perform anywhere as good as a soup can (watch the movie "used cars") (the coffee can is the feedhorn for the snow saucer... ) 

# 4 is horrible as the all in ones cannot be adequately configured even if you own the device. The cable co will reset/block settings in it. They are made so that the cable companies can charge customers for "support" Which TWC has done at times...

Observer

So is this the extra $5 I pay for "home WiFi"?  Just to have access to my SSID via the web interface or to actually have WiFi turned on?

Expert

buy your own router with wireless and save $5 a month as well as have total control of your network.

If you own the combo unit, they have tried to charge $5 a month, you have to call and get it removed.

Highlighted
Browser

$5 is probably the fee for renting their modem/router AIO unit, which is 100% garbage by the way.

I used to have high quality routers before these AIOs. Once I got one of those i used it, but completely forgot how much better and more reliable your own actual router is. 

Save you $5/mo, or $60/year and buy a router that you OWN for $150, or maybe less. WIthin 2 years of having TWC/Spectrum you practically paid for it (assuming the $5/month rental fee doesn't increase). And even if you leave before then, you take it with you because you own it. 

Also I don't think Spectrum hands out any 802.11 ac units. So it's handy to have one of those if you're going to be using Wifi..

Expert

jeremiah90 wrote:

$5 is probably the fee for renting their modem/router AIO unit, which is 100% garbage by the way.

No , with spectrums service, the modem is free, BUT if you want wireless turned on , it's $5 a month extra.

Re: Home Wifi =Crap

I don't care what name you call yourself = Crap

I have a Linksys wifi router that worked just fine until the new modum showed up! I was told by the rep that I would need to contact Linksys to update the router. I never asked for the upgrade for the intranet or cable. I was forced into it and now have to buy a new router or pay the $5 a month for this disfunctional service. My work VPN doesn't work with the switching from 5hz to 2.4hz and will try to reconnect about 30 times a day.

Terrible! I will look to my local fiber provider once available but as of now I'm stuck with this crap or Verizon's equal crap!

Expert

It will work just fine. You put the twc unit into bridged mode, turn off both bands radios and connect your linksys routers wan to the combo's first port. The only limitation might be the linksis is only 100 base, but 100 is fine for 99% of home and business customers.

Spectator

VPN and bad wifi:

You need to do one of two things:

1. In the modem settings, shut off the wifi and enable the vpn settings. This will be specific to your modem, so you need to find the manual for your model. The settings are there, but may not be obvious. This should possibly work with your Linksys then.

2. Put the modem in bridge mode. CAUTION: make sure the firewall/NAT is turned on in your Linksys, because bridge mode directly connects you to the internet with no protection. Bridge mode requires having the administrator settings to access the hidden menu for the modem operating mode. Google your model and someone will have the admin username and password. The username/password on the bottom of the modem will not give you the hidden menu, and the normal menu bridge mode will cause the modem to go into lala land (meaning no internet, requiring a hard reset). Alternatively you can call support to have them configure bridge mode for you, but it's hit or miss as to whether they can get it to work, and I don't know why.

Use my advice at your own risk. If you dork your modem, you can hard reset it back to factory settings and start over.

I am an engineer, but I don't work for Spectrum.

Expert

Thanks, these people don't understand that there is no plug and play to properly network.

This is like trying to use your old remote on a new tv (and the new remotes suck unless you have a smartphone and load the ap...)