Observer

Google DNS setup

I have previously tried using Google DNS at home.  Does anybody know the best way to go about this?  Do I change the DNS settings on my wireless router?  On my connected devices?  Both?

When I tried it, I changed the DNS settings on my router as well as on my connected devices (the ones I could change, anyway).  Everything worked fine except for a WiFi baby monitor camera - using the mobile app for that, we couldn't get the camera to load.

Any feedback or advice is much appreciated!

Everyone's Tags (3)
5 REPLIES
Observer

Re: Google DNS setup

Another question I have is - should I actually use Google DNS, assuming I can get it to work entirely? Is it better/faster than using the TWC DNS?
Valued Contributor

DNS bench always shows the TWC DNS is faster than google. At least for me.

Expert

TWC's DNS is better, it's many hops closer than an external one...

You need to set up the camera with a static IP and forwarded port or ports.

and then find your public IP to call it up from away from home

set the router to do a DHCP start at 192.168.1.100

put the camera at 192.168.1.99 then in the routers gaming/ porting, set 192.168.1.99 to whatever TCP and UDP ports the camera requires

Established Sharer

jmartin207 wrote:

I have previously tried using Google DNS at home.  Does anybody know the best way to go about this?  Do I change the DNS settings on my wireless router?  On my connected devices?  Both?

----------
Both is best.
But try OpenDNS.  I've been using it for years, and it works great.
Highlighted
Expert

there are no local connections to the backbone. TWC routes all to a RDC like Chicago, Atlanta or Dallas and then into the transport if it's outside a path that TWC can make.

TWC uses a "Pipeline" type route  and it takes a lot more hops to get to an external DNS than a local TWC dns.

209.18.47.61/62 are anycast and faster, they also can reroute around congested TWC servers to ballance loading

IPv6 is a bit different, TWC has only one IPv6 dns and the external ones may perform better

twc does no geolocation based routing and for you to go from you to your Uverse/AT&T neighbor in Akron Ohio, it takes near 20 hops all the way to Chicago and back to Akron as Chicago is the interconnection point