Participant

Re: Frequent Modem Reboots - T4 Timeouts; Modem Bad or Spectrum Problem?

MsRaye wrote:

If this is worst when it's windy out, I suspect the connector at the end of the orange line is not contacting the shield barrel  intermittently. It needs to be replaced and the line needs to be attached within 6" of the tap off to the messenger to avoid further damage.

Wind is not the culprit. Over the last week or so it's been barely 'breezy' and even then it's not that often. 

It's where I'd start, I'd also replace the connectors at the grounding block, make sure the ground wire is properly bonded to the electrical service ground wire, etc.

Other than clean and tight what is 'properly bonded?' Should the ground block wires actually be together (twisted?) with the main ground wire at the rod's connector? Or just tight on the rod?

All you can do is call and complain about the intermittents,  This can't be fixed remotely, no matter what they claim.

Checked the signal page this morning and skipped channels again, altho speed tests are ok.

Am seriously considering upgrading the modem to a 16x4. I'd like to get one that allows access to the DOCSIS spectrum analyzer. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Expert

[ Edited ]

I'd start up at that line tap off connector, Orange UG line is installed wrongand could very well have a wind damaged line since there's so much line hanging free.

I don't know if the spectrum analyzer will help you. All it takes is 5%  of ATSC  ingress to ruin a qam 256 data channel.  You won't see it on a modem spectrum analyzer. On the other hand, severe 4G LTE ingress from your cell phone will probably show .

Participant

Update

I decided to try a new modem before going toe to toe w/Spectrum. On Aug 24 I replaced the Arris SB6141 with a new Zoom 5370 16x4.

Since then:

1.  [Almost] ZERO T3/T4 timeouts and associated modem reboots. (2 T3 timeouts, no reboots). I wa getting multiples almost every day. 

2. ZERO DS Partial Service Fallbacks

3. ZERO skipped channels

4. ZERO internet slowdowns

5. VERY consistent speed tests IAW our 60/5 pkg.

And, while I'm unsure if this can really be true, ZERO Uncorrectables since Aug. 24! If true, wow!

This modem is so boring the log has gone a week with no entry. LOL

So, unless Ms. Raye or another expert sees something I'm not in all this I think we're good??

Expert

I would stick a 2 way splitter with the second port terminated to reduce the DS and rais the US by 3.5 dB... DS above +10 dBmv  is a known issue

You're still seeing correctables. 

on some modems, the logging is eratic, looks like something happenned on the 4th but nothing since then, maybe that's what whacked the correctables.

Participant

MsRaye wrote:

I would stick a 2 way splitter with the second port terminated to reduce the DS and rais the US by 3.5 dB... DS above +10 dBmv  is a known issue

Then this morning's DS is even worse. Wind and rain here from TS Irma (near Charleston, SC)

It's old but will this work?

We're getting TS Irma winds and rain today so will add that after weather clears. 

You're still seeing correctables. 

on some modems, the logging is eratic, looks like something happenned on the 4th but nothing since then, maybe that's what whacked the correctables.

Are you referring to Correctables or UNcorrectables?   I've watched the signals page since day one and it has been zero UNcorrectables. That log I posted is the entire log since day one.

Expert

That will act as a 3.5 dB attenuator and lower the DS and raise the US levels more into the "happy zone"

Participant

after adding the 2-way splitter this morning

Last night we had major connection issues during TS Irma. Correctables/Uncorrectables went to crap pretty fast.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

So that should tell both you and TWC-Spectrum that there are loose or broken connectors in their aerial cable plant.  Tracking them down  normally would be difficult, but I suspect that TWC will be running extra bucket truck crews for several weeks to tighten and rehang anytrhing that was loose before and is now either much looser or completely failed.  Now is the time to call - you don't get a chance like Irma very often.

Expert

I like the levels with the splitter being used as an attenuator, It's interesting that the s/n dropped 1/2 dB, but anything over 35-36 dB s/n is fine for qam 256.... at 32 dB and lower s/n errors go way up, at 29, doesn't decode very well if at all

See if it goes whacky if it get's windy again.

Hopefully, the wind tore off marginal lines and Spectrum will replace them.... Most ingress will be at the pole tap you're on and hardline connections toward the head end/ fiber converter.