Occasional Contributor
gracezhu

Firmware update for purchased modem

Will TWC update the firmware for modem on support modem list?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
JohnSeagraves

Re: Firmware update for purchased modem

I want to buy my own Modem, and I have a Apple Airport router.  Which Modem is the best to buy?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
macmechanic

From what I understand, as per the DOCSIS standards specification, the cable modem manufacturers are not allowed to control the upgrades of DOCSIS devices. They supply new firmware only to the ISP's who, after testing and approving the firmware for use on their network,  "push" the firmware updates to the cable modems on their network from their end. The end users have no way to update the firmware themselves. This is how the process is intended to work which is why I cannot understand how or why Time Warner came up with their idiotic policy that they DO NOT and WILL NOT update the firmware on customer owned cable modems. The firmware that's on the cable modem when you purchase it is what you're stuck with as long as you're a Time Warner customer.Time Warner says that they support customers who would like to avoid the rental fee by purchasing their own modems but they really don't. They have their compatible modem list with the supported firmware but there is no way to know what firmware is installed on the modem from looking at the box so it might already be outdated and not be the "compatible"or supported version when you purchase it. There are always many firmware revisions during the lifespan of these devices so if you were to purchase a new model on Time Warner's list such as the Netgear N450 CG3000Dv2 that was just introduced at this years Consumer Electronics Show, you'd be stuck with it's original V1.00.05 firmware. I'm sure that the firmware version on the list will change as new firmware is released by the manufactures so when you have a problem and your firmware is out of date because Time Warner refuses to update it like they're suppose to do, Time Warner's tech  support will say that there is nothing that they can do and will tell you that all your problems will be solved by using one of their rental modems.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
MsRaye

TWC does push the proper operating software for some modems. it is not a firmware upgrade.  I just saw a COAM new 6121 get the SW upgrade today.It created the proper TWC profile and then provisioned the modem for service.

THe problem is that some manufacturers made their new firmware non downgradeable to one that works properly on the system.

And umm, Netgear doesn't exactly have the best reputation either.

The newest is not the best. And anything "beta" is probably the worst. You will see the same complaints on ALL cable systems.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
macmechanic

Hey MsRaye, glad to see that you've joined the conversation. I'm a self professed newbie and a lot of the little bit that I know I've acquired from reading your posts. You're like a Savior here leading all us blind newbies through the Time Warner mine field of cable internet service, to what will hopefully be on the other side, reliable internet access. Ok, so I think I figured out that COAM is an Acronym for Customer Owned And Maintained but a lot of the rest of your post has me totally confused. I thought that firmware was just a nonvolatile form of software. I do see that when I log into my cable modem it does say under Gateway Status, "Software Version" but isn't it stored in a non-volatile manner such as a flashrom and is therefore considered "firmware" or are you talking about two completely different things? On the Time Warner compatible modem list, there are models listed alone with the model's "Firmware Version". These operating software updates pushed by Time Warner don't change the firmware and therefore the firmware version number?

Please use plain text.