Newcomer

Firmware Updates for BYODs - C7000

Hello, I just spent nearly an hour on the phone with support at Spectrum regarding a request to update firmware on a Netgear C7000 that I own, and ended up esclating to a manager. I've seen other threads on this topic as well.

I was told support checked with engineering and that there was "absolutely no way for anyone at Spectrum to push a firmware update to a customer-owned device" and that it had to be done by the manufacturer. When I asked to speak to somone in engineering I was told there was no support number for engineering, they would not provide me any contact info.

Netgear states Spectrum has to apply the firmware. Spectrum states Netgear has to apply it. Has anyone been able to successfuly request a firmware update and/or have contact info for engineering? 

6 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: Firmware Updates for BYODs - C7000

Spectrum updates firmware on ALL equipment on their network. When ever they feel like it. They will tell you when they have tested and approved a manufacturer firmware. YOU CANNOT request a update.

Expert

[ Edited ]

Netgear is correct, Spectrum is wrong.

Netgear releases new firmware, sends it to Spectrum to test and to customize for Spectrum use, then they test it. push it out to maybe one or two nodes to see if problems arise, then release it state by state.

Why do you think you need new firmware?

Established Sharer

The customer service reps and their managers have no way to push a firmware update to your modem. Engineering will do it on a mass scale when they feel it is needed...and no they do not communicate with customers and usually not even customer service.

Newcomer

In the middle of the night, just hours after the call with support, my router was visited by the Firmware Fairy. The router jumped several versions of firmware into the future and is now on the latest. Maybe just a coincidence. I will not look a gift patch in the compiler. Still a terrible experience overall though.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Out of curiosity, has this C7000 been connected and active on the account for some time or just recently connected?

Newcomer

Connected and active for about 12 months.