Observer

Re: Feedback: Hitron eMTA modem E31N2V1. Please allow access to cable signals.

Not having access to the diagnostics GUI is really annoying, there is nothing in the modem that can be changed... it is a modem not a gateway so why disable the GUI?

PLEASE enable the GUI in the hitron model.

Newcomer

Please do the same with the Technicolor version as well, the E31T2V1. I see no harm to just able to see cable signals.

Browser

Hello all,

Thank you, @scjr, I too have this complaint. I occasionally like to check my signal levels, and when we began having intermittent connectivity issues, I checked our levels to find marginal DS levels. and eonly one locked, extremely high US level.

I mentioned signal levels (among other things) to the tech, who brought me the new Ubee E31U2V1 eMTA because, "You'll need this if you choose to upgrade your speeds in the future." Of course he never mentioned that I'd be locked out of viewing signal levels in the future!

Please let the powers that be know that some of us are capable of viewing signal levels and just like to stay informed. I see no reason this info cannot be unlocked for subscriber information.

Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Observer

Add my name to the list.

It is disappointing that the GUIs of the D3.1 modems are locked out.

I have the Ubee, so I can use the published trick to access it, but it’s a pain to do and because a reboot of the eMTA is required, the corr and uncorr counters get reset.  For TV subscribers, you can always go into the diagnostics of the cable box and view the signal info, but some problems only affect certain frequencies and obviously video and data aren’t delivered over the same ones.

When I had Gig installed, I was hoping for the Technicolor modem, only for the reason I’ve always had excellent luck with Cisco CPE, but I am so happy I have the Ubee.

I have helped many less technical friends and relatives with their internet and TV problems by going into the diagnostics and confirming that the problems they are having are not cable related, but rather something else like a router issue or bad HDMI cable.  Even did some re-wiring work to remove old line and old splitters that improved signals resulting in less service calls. These are saved truck rolls, saved hours of service calls for issues that aren’t the fault of Charter. 

Let’s face it, the vast majority of people out there have no clue these pages even exist.  And those of us that do, we can use it to help provide diagnostic information.  These pages are static, there is no user editable information, so I’m not sure what the big deal about locking them down is.  I would love to know the real reason, not some canned line about security or whatever.

I do understand that these modems are property of Charter Communications and they are free to do whatever they want with them, I get that, I respect that, but at the same time for those of us who understand what these values mean, it can be a tremendous asset.

Valued Participant

Thanks to everyone for providing their feedback.

Hopefully more folks will post and that Spectrum will eventually allow users to access the cable signals page.
Newcomer

Add my name. I would like this feature. Also, I picked this up in the store and it has no booklet? Sigh.

egk
Contributor

I noticed that too.  A brand new modem in the box and not even an instruction manual telling you what the lights mean.   

I'd love to hear from someone at Spectrum whether this is going to be addressed or not.   It's irritating when I can't even tell how many channels the modem has bonded too let alone see things like the modem's power signal levels or SNR ratios or uncorrectables.  

Valued Participant

@egk wrote:

I noticed that too.  A brand new modem in the box and not even an instruction manual telling you what the lights mean.   

I'd love to hear from someone at Spectrum whether this is going to be addressed or not.   It's irritating when I can't even tell how many channels the modem has bonded too let alone see things like the modem's power signal levels or SNR ratios or uncorrectables.  

Quick installation guide for the Ubee variant. Has what the lights mean in manual:

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/2368736~a4e865c2dfa26fb46c02cd90ba80dd25/E31U2V1%20Quick%20Ins...