Valued Participant

Feedback: Hitron eMTA modem E31N2V1. Please allow access to cable signals.

Hello Spectrum,

I’ve been very pleased with Spectrum and the great help I’ve received on this forum. People like @MsRaye@karlbeckman@agentx5 and many others have been very helpful diagnosing my issues and the issues of many other cable users. The first thing these folks ask for is a copy of your cable signals.

I’m disappointed that my new modem (Hitron E31N2V1) will not allow me to, at the very least, to access my cable signals. That basically makes this forum useless to many internet users who come here seeking the advice of the aforementioned pros. Without cable signals, they can’t troubleshoot properly. 

I use this eMTA as a internet modem only. I could buy one and have access, but that’s pointless since I want to save the money and you offer me this modem as part of my service.

Please reconsider locking “everything” out. Please give us access to the signal page “only” and nothing more. You can’t make changes on a cable signal page.

I’m sharing this feedback constructively. If the Spectrum customer service folks on the forum can share this up line and to the proper people who would consider this change, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

cc: 

@Julia_R

@James_M

9 REPLIES
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Feedback: Hitron eMTA modem E31N2V1. Please allow access to cable signals.

@scjr

Thanks for the feedback and you bring up a good point.  Currently, this applies only to 400Mbps speeds and above.  The business strategy is ensure customers with 400Mpbs and Gig speeds are getting the correct speeds.  I will ensure that your feedback is sent up to our leadership, and I will update this thread with any new information when it is received.    

Thanks again! 

James 

Valued Participant

Hi @James_M,

Thank you.

I understand that folks changing settings in the modem might harm their speeds. All this customer wants is to have access to the signal page. I also noticed many other Spectrum users on the dslreports Spectrum forum mention the same.

i appreciate you sharing my recommendation with leadership.

Thanks again and look forward to a positive update in the future.

All the best, 

scjr

egk
Contributor

I agree with this thread completely.   I recently upgraded to the 400/20 speed  since Spectrum dropped the one time upgrade fee.   Since my old SB6183 modem wasn't capable of giving me consistent speeds at that level I dropped by the Spectrum office and picked up this new Hitron modem.

Everything went well but one of the first things I do after setting up the modem and my router is make a bookmark to the cable modem's signal levels.  It was just a minor nuisance when Spectrum/Arris disabled the ability to reboot that modem through the pages.   I don't really need to change anything but I do like to be able to monitor the signal if I think I have a problem.   That way I can at least tell Spectrum techs what I'm seeing.  Uncorrectables and poor signal levels can be something as simple as tightening connections or a splitter at my end.   Heck, it was Time Warner/Spectrum techs who told me to check the signal levels in the first place.  

I did have one connection drop but the modem came back up again.  The only thing I could do was stare at the blue light.  haha     This is akin to choosing cars with gauges all your live then suddenly being forced to drive one that's all idiot lights.  Smiley Happy

I hope Spectrum can change this behavior by either giving us access or through a modem firmware update.  

Valued Participant

Thanks for adding your feedback, @egk! Hopefully a future update will give us access.

My Hitron has been up over 2 days now and it’s been solid. Immediately upon install I got full speeds and then it went down. I’m unsure if it was performing a firmware update or what, but since then there have been no issues.

Browser

Please add the support to view the signal levels on this modem.

I live in an MDU with terrible wiring so it's important to keep an eye on signal levels.

Spectrum Employee

@scjr I also agree with this suggestion.

As techs we DO want our customers to be able to see their RF signal power levels.

Right now the only thing that could be offered is that the customer go buy their own modem. 

Also the DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM is capable of showing max & min power (dBmV) and MER (dB) readings as well.  Many of the customer owned DOCSIS 3.1 modems can, but the rental/leased Ubee DOCSIS 3.1 modems will not allow it.

Nothing wrong with those modems from a hardware point of view, just a software issue.

Would be nice, please consider adding support for self-troubleshooting by asking the manufactures to add & support access to RF signal level readings/status.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Spectrum Employee

@Matt77  

Sounds like your whole MDU needs to have a postwire done...  Sometimes the landlords won't allow for it at first, but if they become convinced it can help/hurt their bottomline financially then they'll usually agree to requests.  Of course those postwire requests have to come in first, from tech appointments.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Browser

@agentx5 wrote:

@Matt77  

Sounds like your whole MDU needs to have a postwire done...  Sometimes the landlords won't allow for it at first, but if they become convinced it can help/hurt their bottomline financially then they'll usually agree to requests.  Of course those postwire requests have to come in first, from tech appointments.

I barked down that road back in the Insight Communications days (pre TWC) and then when Time Warner took over Insight. I had so many tech's out and tell me "your walls have RG59 them and the only way it will get replaced is if the corporate MDU owners pay to have it rewired" the last time I had a tech out they pretty much said "your better off finding a new place to live then hope that you'll have "perfect" signal levels."   I hover around -9db on the downstream when I had the 16x4 "owned" modem in place it was nasty to look at but always provided solid 100/10 download.  I only swapped to the 3.1 modem from Spectrum to be more in line what is needed for the "Ultra" 400/20 tier. [and I don't want to buy a new modem because face it when I finally do move] - I will likely move to a place that has AT&T Fiber (which is 940/940) and since cable isn't symmetrical sadly Spectrum won't come close to that anytime soon until they decide to do Mid-Split or Node+o type upgrades replacing a lot of field hardware.

Not applicable

As a customer, I would also ask Charter/Spectrum to reach out to their manufacturers and request that customer-viewable status be restored. I have this Hitron modem, and while it has been very reliable for me, I do like to keep an eye on the stats especially if another member of the household complains that they have an "Internet" issue. It certainly helps rule out the circuit if I see good stats and I know that something might be up with Wi-Fi instead.

From a big picture perspective, it may actually help reduce truck rolls and support calls, as customers who are savvy enough to read the stats (who are mostly the only people who know about the status pages anyway) and begin diagnosing an issue can avoid making an unnecessary support call or service appointment if the modem statistics don’t indicate a signal problem. And of course, it certainly doesn’t harm anyone who doesn’t know that those status pages are there.