Rookie

Ethernet ports keep going offline.

Just got a new Spectrum router and the ethernet ports keep going down for no reason.  The wifi is constant, but I have an AppleTV, Playstation and IP phone all connected directly to the router.  The port they are plugged into go down, if the device is not in use for any length of time.

I log into the router to see, and sure enough the ports are down and I lost service to that device.  Strangely the wifi never goes down.

I have to constantly hard reset the box, to bring those ports back up, which takes down the wifi in the house as well.

Any idea what  the issue is, or is there a way to keep the ports open?

2 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Ethernet ports keep going offline.

@RW_CBA wrote:

Just got a new Spectrum router and the ethernet ports keep going down for no reason.  The wifi is constant, but I have an AppleTV, Playstation and IP phone all connected directly to the router.  The port they are plugged into go down, if the device is not in use for any length of time.

I log into the router to see, and sure enough the ports are down and I lost service to that device.  Strangely the wifi never goes down.

I have to constantly hard reset the box, to bring those ports back up, which takes down the wifi in the house as well.

Any idea what  the issue is, or is there a way to keep the ports open?

Lease times.  Extend them to "forever" and/or reserve them.   Better yet, set static IP addresses for the devices hard wired to your router.

In addition, you can buy and use your own router to save on Spectrum's $5 per month WiFi fee.  They will put the router you are currently renting in bridge mode, turning it into a modem.

Helper

Re: Ethernet ports keep going offline.

Does your router have "power save",  "energy saver", or "energy efficient ethernet" mode? It goes by a few different names but if it's enabled can cause the issues you describe.