Participant

Email from Spectrum re Upgrade to Modem?

What is this email I just got today from Spectrum (a lot of folks all over the USA are saying they got it too)? 

It says that Spectrum will be performing an "upgrade" to my customer owned Arris Motorola Surfboard 6183 DOCIS 3.0 modem  sometime within the next 4-6 weeks.  I have the latest firmware (D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.3-GA-01-NOSH) for this modem that was pushed by Oceanic TWC BEFORE Charter took full control here in Hawaii. 

So, what is being updated?  This is not a DOCSIS 3.1 modem so I can't understand what Spectrum is updating.  There is nothing to update!  The email is vague and shame on Spectrum for not giving more PRECISE details.

I know Charter was the VERY LAST cable provider to push current firmware for this modem and I worry that they don't realize TWC already pushed this update sometime ago and they will try pushing it again and break our modems and since they are customer owned Charter will take no responsibility for what they have done.  I hope you can reassure me that I am wrong about this and tell me what is being updated on my 6183 that already has the latest firmware.

16 REPLIES
Newcomer

Re: Email from Spectrum re Upgrade to Modem?

I to would like to know what they want to do with my 'owned' modem. Spectrum, please let us know what this firmware update will do and is there a way to prevent any firmware updates without user owned permission.

Expert

Part of the terms of service...

D o you complain about your I phone or computers updates?

egk
Contributor

I don't mind them updating my modem but I find it odd they keep pushing their own modems. 

I have the Arris sb183 modem as well.   I just got a card in the mail today advertising a 400Mbps speed increase offer.  I have 100/10 now.     I contacted them to find out what it would cost and was told I would have to upgrade to their modem to take advantage of that speed.    I don't believe that's correct but whatever.   Upgrading is a $50 "installation" fee plus $25 a month extra so I'm going to pass on it.

Established Sharer

I would suspect they are (FINALLY) updating firmware to fix known issues involving IPv6, or more accurately the ability of an original SB6183A model modem to use both IPv4 and IPv6 through the same modem connection, which makes it a suffix 'B' instead.   Just a conjecture on my part, nothing concrete that I can quote, other than the Spectrum Approved Modems list. 

And YES, they absolutely do have the right to update or disconnect any customer-owned device that is operating on their network.  Read your Terms of Service. 

Expert

6183's useable at 300 megs....

and 200 megs.

They've jacked up IPv6 on the 1602's which is what they're supplying for 400

100/10 should stream 2-4 hd 4k movies at once and gaming is stable at 100, not at 300 or faster

Valued Participant

The Arris SB6183 already does ipv4 and ipv6, with the firmware version the op mentioned.

I’m on TWC legacy. I haven’t received any upgrade notifications. If it’s a firmware upgrade, it could be security related. Who knows? Must be a good reason for the upgrade and to be truthful, it’s just like any other upgrade you get on router, computer etc. Should be no big deal.

Participant

MsRaye wrote:

Part of the terms of service...

D o you complain about your I phone or computers updates?

I don't have a smart phone.  As for my new Windows 10 computer according to Woody Leonhart (https://www.askwoody.com/) we are still on MS-Defcon2 and are advised to do NO updates until Defcon level is raised to 4 or higher and it is finally safe to do updates.  I have FULL CONTROL of my computers and have NEVER allowed updates automatically.  I update when I am ready to do so and ONLY update what I want updated.  That's going to be a difficult job with Windows 10 but it IS doable. 

And, of course, I complain about Windows updates!  Do you like having your computer bricked?  I don't. 

Expert

WHAT???? Defcom??? has nothing to do with modems!Woman LOL

Smartphone upgrades are a different story.... My Verizon/ Samsung has developed issues every time....

Modem upgrades are usually months after firmware was released and well tested.

Participant

There is NO update for a 6183 that has the LATEST firmwarm which mine has.  Our modems are obsolete as we cannot get 24 channels down or 1GB down as these modems are not capable of those speeds.  We already have 24 channels down in Hawaii and I don't care because I am legacy TWC for as long as possible.  200/20 is plenty for me and I can't afford the high prices that come with the higher speeds and DOCISIS 3.1 certified modems. 

The firmware updates are issued by the modem manufacturer NOT by cable companies.  Arris has not issued new firmware for the 6183.  Arris states there IS NO FIRMWARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000NJmcOAAT&c=SURFboard%20Cable%20Mo...

Either Charter has no idea what they are doing or they sent these emails BY MISTAKE.