Data Usage - Excessif

My data usage has been climbing constently for the last 6 months, last month I was over 1/2 a TB. Which is excessive for the usage that we do.

I've called and they're reply is "don't worry about it it's ulimited", but I am worried about it.

This month I have a sudden drop in usage even though we've started watching more streaming content than we've done in the past.

On 10/31 Spectrum indicates that we used 100Gb but when I go to their monitoring tool and click on that specific day they indicate that I've used 0 every hour of the day and yet say for that day we used 100Gb.

This is driving me crazy.

Any suggestion on tools to monitor network activity would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

9 REPLIES
Highlighted
Lead Moderator

Re: Data Usage - Excessif

Hi

I am taking a look at the tool. I was not able to drill down to by the hour, just by 

the day, week, month etc.  

Are you able to verify that you are viewing this on the My Account website or are you seeing this through your router?

Can you take a screen shot for us that shows by the hour?

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Established Sharer

lostsomewhere wrote:

My data usage has been climbing constently for the last 6 months, last month I was over 1/2 a TB. Which is excessive for the usage that we do.

Excessive is all relative. What is it that you do (or don't do) that you believe this is excessive? How many people in the household have access? How many devices? What activities take place (streaming Netflix and Youtube in 4k, general web browsing, iCloud backups, gaming, etc.)?

Having said that, my own usage varies from 350 GB to 650 GB per month. We are a house of 3 full time residents and one half time resident that between us all do a few hours of Netflix/Amazon/HBO streaming per day, normal web browsing, Youtube, and Facebook type stuff, no gaming, moderate amount of Facetime, etc.

Expert

are you running win 10, dropbox, cloud, sync or onedrive?

Win 10 has a nasty peer to peer updater and if on, will skyrocket your data useage

it uses your computer to update other computers outside your lan and needs to be turned off.

We are a household of 2.

Big user would be myself, we stream about 20 hours monthly with this month probaly 30 hours.

I game alot and except for updates or a new game install (recently had a new game that was 50Gb d/l) the bandwith should be in the low Mb an hour and never more than a couple of hours a day.

Every other devices are tablets, phones and no one streams on those and my wife plays a game on it that should be only data transfer.

I did notice a few months ago that one of my PST files was being duplicated to OneDrive and each time I received an email it would cause an update on OneDrive, the PST was 500Mb but I've moved PST and is not being duplicated anymore and yet the usage has increased monthly.

Could my PC be infected, possible. But I've got so many security tools running on it that it's unlikely (being in IT and all).

Could it be the Directv unit, I can't say I don't have any tool to monitor that thing.

I do use OneDrive, no DropBox.

I use the online tool available at spectrum.net.

Included will be 3 attachement:

1 is my monthly 5 months. You will notice the dramatic drop for the current month. I'm on target to use 180Gb which is I believe should be inline with our usage.

1 is the month of October, you will notice the ~100Gb spike on the 31st.

1 is for the data usage on 10/30, at this time I am unable to access the hourly of 10/31 as I click on the day and it sends me to 11/13 instead.

Expert

Attachments just show up as a yellow triangle here...

Your security aps also eat up bandwidth.lol.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth...

Established Sharer

lostsomewhere wrote:

Could it be the Directv unit, I can't say I don't have any tool to monitor that thing.

Satellite Directv or Directv Now?

Lead Moderator

First thing I would do were I you is change the password on your Wifi.  If you feel that there is no way you and the other person in the house are using this much it may be someone leaching off of your connection.

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/faqs-internet/homewifi/how-do-i-change-my-wifi-setti...

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums