Participant

Dare to post your internet usage?

TWC/Spectrum provides an Internet Usage chart when you log in to your account on their website.

(No prizes for winners)

March: 204 GB

April: 229 GB

May: 180 GB

June: 141 GB

July: 119 GB

12 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Dare to post your internet usage?

I've been recording the TWC/Spectrum reported usage since February 2013, and so far my largest month was 103GB (March 2017).  Most months are between 30 and 50 GB.  My lowest month was July 2014 at 12GB -- but that was the month that TWC didn't fix the corroded connector on my drop line for 15 days.

But think about it for a minute... if you have Spectrum Internet at 60 Mbps down, and you use the full capacity of the service for 4 hours per day downloading <whatever>, you'd hit 3240GB on a 30 day month.  Except that you wouldn't, because the Spectrum/Internet gateways will never allow you to grab a full 60 Mbps down over the long term.

Participant

The Usage Tracker/Usage Details lets you drill-down by day, and even shows hourly usage.

Maybe I'll disconnect my cable modem for a day (or at least a couple of hours) and see if the charts acuurately reflect the zero usage.

Looks like video streaming devices and game consoles are the biggest users.

Established Sharer

Natey2 wrote:

TWC/Spectrum provides an Internet Usage chart when you log in to your account on their website.

(No prizes for winners)

March: 204 GB

April: 229 GB

May: 180 GB

June: 141 GB

July: 119 GB

Out of curiosity, what point are you trying to make?  The usage stats will me meaningless without context.

Participant

[ Edited ]

Just trying to see what everyone else around here is using.

Utility companies (Electricity, Gas, Water, etc) send bills saying things like "... you are using 27% more than similar sized households in your neigborhood ..." etc., with usage charts than span a couple of months.

Maybe cable companies should do the same. But that might just annoy subscribers who are already annoyed. Lol.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

Natey2 wrote:

Just trying to see what everyone else around here is using.

Utility companies (Electricity, Gas, Water, etc) send bills saying things like "... you are using 27% more than similar sized households in your neigborhood ..." etc., with usage charts than span a couple of months.

Maybe cable companies should do the same. But that might just annoy subscribers who are already annoyed. Lol.

Utilities bill their users for the amount of water, gas, or electricity consumed.  Your cellular carrier also typically charges by how much data you use (also by the number of voice calls and text messages) and they only offer one speed.   Spectrum Cable Internet is not billing you like that; instead, they charge you for a maximum speed - how quickly you want your data transported on their network. 

Note that paying for a 300 Mbps connection doesn't mean that League of Legends, NetFlix or Google is able to send information to you at that speed, just that your equipment can receive that quickly IF the guys at the hosting end AND EVERY WEB CONNECTION ALONG THE ROUTE BETWEEN can transport your data at that speed. 

Hopefully this explanation will help you realize why your original request for users to post and compare their monthly data volumes makes very little sense.

Participant

[ Edited ]

So we will never see charts like this for Cable Internet Usage? Smiley Sad

Usage

You know, maybe Spectrum could like give a free mug or T-shirt to people who don't use too much data compared to their neighhbors, or something.

Established Sharer

You know, maybe Spectrum could like give a free mug or T-shirt to people who don't use too much data compared to their neighhbors, or something.

If they wanted to entice people to use less data they would just institute data caps and overage fees. I think none of use would want to see that happen. It's like the one good thing about Spectrum internet and the only reason I've not switched to AT&T.

Participant

[ Edited ]

The way I see it, TWC/Spectrum would not be neutral about this.
They either want to reduce usage in some areas due to congestion/load on their limited resources there, or they want to promote usage so they can sell more products/services.

If the former, the free low-end gift for reduced usage would be appropriate.
If the latter, they should maybe give out one of those high-end routers (with so many antennas it looks like a weapon) to the user with the highest usage in a neighborhood. Or even a low end HDTV. You'd be amazed at what people would do for things like that. (See what Amazon is doing.)

And the notion of Unlimited anything is just not scalable; it would even defy the Law of Diminishing Returns.
Celluar companies tried "Unlimited Data", and there were subscribers trying to tether their Smartphone 4G/LTE connection to their router to avoid using the Cable Company Internet service.
(BTW, I get much better upload speeds over 4G/LTE than using my cable modem service of around 10Mbps)
That would have taught the cellular companies not to do things like market "Unlimited Data", so they all have caps on data usage now.
And they are still try to unload more of their data usage onto the cable ISPs with all this WiFi-Calling nonsense.
(I get much better call quality over 4G/LTE than this WiFi Calling thing)

Established Sharer

Regarding usage, Spectrum is caught in their own web of marketing "materials".  On the one hand, they want to crow about how their "low-end" speed is a "blazing fast" 60Mbps (they don't mention that's "down only", with a mere 4Mbps up), but on the other hand they're aware that they can't deliver 60Mbps from "the Internet" to all of their subscribers, the best they could do (and they aren't doing it) would be to provide 60Mbps consistently on their internal network, and (finally) start being reasonable paying for access to the real Internet backbone so that their external network access points are not severe "choke points", like they are today.