AJ1
Rookie

DNS Issues

Lately I have been having an awful time with TWC's DNS servers.  They're slow to resolve far too often.  A lot of times they can't resolve at all.  I have gotten frustrated to the point of using open DNS, which I shouldn't have to do.

Why can't TWC maintain their servers properly?

4 REPLIES
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: DNS Issues

AJ1 wrote:

Lately I have been having an awful time with TWC's DNS servers.  They're slow to resolve far too often.  A lot of times they can't resolve at all.  I have gotten frustrated to the point of using open DNS, which I shouldn't have to do.

Why can't TWC maintain their servers properly?

It's not just their DNS servers at 209.18.47.61 and 62, the entire network that is overloaded. and/or misconfigured for the amount of traffic being transported.  It doesn't help that they don't have separate servers handling just IPv6, or that the servers are not optimally located in the new merged Spectrum system.  But those are the ones you need to use if you want your data to get to one of the handful of Internet eXchange Provider exit points they have contracted across the USA to connect Spectrum users into the world wide web.  Using Open DNS doesn't improve things inside Spectrum's transport, just the outside world beyond those IXPs.

Expert

Where are you? 

post a tracert to 209.18.47.61

mine here in NE Ohio got horrible a couple months ago and has forced me to abandon firefof.

Looks like the shut down the OHRDC in Columbus  ohio and are now using a subcontracted site up in Michigan.

I believe it's at the same site that runs your TWC speedtest....

I see no way to redirect routing out of the mess they made up in Cleveland hts...

AJ1
Rookie

[ Edited ]

Speed hasn't been an issue except when connecting, so I'm good.  Open DNS resolved my problem.  

Expert

Copy and paste the requested tracert...

I'll bet you needed to clear the DNS cache if Odns works better, it just doesn't on spectrum....