Constant Modem Reboots

Hello, I've been having an issue for months now where my modem resets itself constantly. Now my house is relatively old and also we have 6 cable boxes so we have the amplifier downstairs which the modem is currently hooked into. I did disconnect the splitter for the modem/Cable box in my room to see if that helped the connection drops which seem like it helped it a bit but not enough to cause it to reset itself multiple times a day. As of right now, it seems to be resetting itself only twice a day but it's at random times and has only ever done it once past 6 pm in the last 90 days. the error code that keeps popping up every time it resets is 

Thu Oct 25 10:16:00 2018Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=70:5a:9e:6c:49:21;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:94:7c:72;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Thu Oct 25 10:16:00 2018Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=70:5a:9e:6c:49:21;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:94:7c:72;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am officially at a loss for what's going on.
I've had Spectrum techs out 5 different times last month and officially gave up on calling them out. All of the wirings is brand new inside and outside the house last time they were out they replaced the modem. 

8 REPLIES
Browser

Re: Constant Modem Reboots

Could be a hardware error with the cable modem.  Honestly sounds like they should have run a dedicated line for the modem from the pole.

Proven Sharer

Disconnect EVERYTHING except the modem, and put it as the only item connected to your drop and see if the situation improves.

Ideally, you should one one 2-way splitter at the drop /point of ingress from the street.  One of the outlets from the 2-way splitter should go to the modem.  The other goes to the distribution amplifier for all the cable boxes.

The way they have it set up is there's a line going to the amp from outside down to my basement to the amplifier then to a two-way splitter upstairs in my room one for the modem and one for the TV what am I disconnecting? Just the devices connected to the router or the stuff plugged into the amp? of should i have them come out and run another line directly to the modem from the drop?

Proven Sharer

Disconnect the amplifier.

Connect ONLY your modem to the drop from the street, and observe the behavior.  The modem should either be the only device on your service drop, or one of the two devices on a two-way splitter (which is the first device on your drop).  take you modem into the basement if you have to.

The order of devices, from the pole to the home, ideally, should be:

1.  Cable from the street.

2.  Grounding block.

then either option A or option B:

A:

3a-1.  Modem

3a-2.  Router

B:

3b.  2-way splitter

3b-1-a.  Modem

3b-1-b.  Router

3b-2-a. Distribution amp

3b-2-b.  Cable Set-top boxes

Amplifiers create noise on the cable with can interfere with modem signal levels.

Alright, I will try that and see what happens. If the issue persists is there anything else I should do? 

They didn't do that they ran a cable from the drop to the grounding block down to the amp then ran two separate cables upstairs to a splitter to separate the modem cable and the cable box line. 

Proven Sharer

@Koalafications wrote:

They didn't do that they ran a cable from the drop to the grounding block down to the amp then ran two separate cables upstairs to a splitter to separate the modem cable and the cable box line. 

Disconnect the amp, and replace it with your modem.   The modem should be the ONLY thing on your drop.  Then observe the behavior of the modem.  With the amp out of the equation, you will learn if the amp is introducing noise which is causeing the reset / reboots.

Helper

@Koalafications wrote:

As has been said many times...disconnect the modem from ANY amps. If there is any noise in the line the amp will also amplify it to the point that the modem cannot compensate and drops will occur. Television signals aren't as sensitive to the noise as data which is why the modem should be connected as close to the drop as possible BEFORE any amps, if at all possible.

FYI this is 99.999% NOT a problem that a new modem will fix.