N/A

Connection issues since March 12th.

I work from home doing two things on the internet that require stable connections. I stream playing games, and I do accounting\financial stuff.  Both of these require a stable connection, and I figure as a last ditch effort we can let the people on this forum take a look, since nothing anyone in Tier India, Tier 3 (now renamed Phone and Tech Support?) or In home tech or Plant & Maintenance Techs have been able to resolve the issue.

I live in Manhattan, I currently get the Triple Play package, with a VOIP phone, the issues I am going to go into detail below also seem to affect the phone and TV, with the TV going granular occasionally, and the phone having horrible connection issues when the problem is occuring (that could just be terrible phone service, I don't see that line often).

The best I can describe the issue is that at certain times of the day, the internet goes through periods of high instability, where the connection drops for 4 seconds, and always 4 seconds, at least according to my ping program WinMTR, which for anyone who doesn't know runs a continuous ping test (traceroute) to any destination of your choosing. Now this can not always be accurate as not all websites\servers are set up to handle pings. We can get into TCP, UDP and all sorts of acronyms of which I have next to no knowledge about, but I can say that when my connection works, I have 0% packet loss to any of three websites using this program, live.twitch.tv (their intended "ping" server), www.google.com, and 66.109.3.222 which the last some of you may recognize as a backbone IP for the Time warner\spectrum\charter\brighthouse whatever your areas ISP is. Sometimes my internet goes "down for 10 seconds" is what it would seem to someone casually browsing the internet, but what actually happens is the connection goes down for 4 seconds, up for 1, and back down for 4, giving the appearance of a longer lag, but it’s really just the intermittent issue can occur in rapid succession at times.

Here is a picture of the "stream health" graph that you can use from Twitch itself http://imgur.com/a/U4g6j

When the net works, it works flawlessly (and when the problem is happening you get ~75% up apparently no issue and 25%  its completely down, say 12 seconds of every 60). Here are some pictures of some tests I just ran while the problem is actively occurring. I can tell you that 3 days ago during a period with no issues, repeated tests on speedtest netted me on average ~356 MBPS down, and ~21 MBPS up, with the low and highs being 348 and 361 down, and 16 and 23 for up.

Picture http://imgur.com/a/tAmNL

The test from December 2015 was before we got upgraded to the 300 package in July 2016 (200 is what we were on then). I don't know why, since last week when my ping was always 6, but now its showing 14-15, but Ill chalk that up to strange server selection.

The connection page:

Startup Procedure

Procedure

Status

Comment

Acquire Downstream Channel

405000000 Hz

Connectivity State

OK

Operational

Boot State

Configuration File

OK

Security

Enabled

BPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels

Channel

Lock Status

Modulation

Channel ID

Frequency

Power

SNR

Correctables

Uncorrectables

QAM256

405000000 Hz

4.2 dBmV

42.8 dB

QAM256

333000000 Hz

4.1 dBmV

42.7 dB

QAM256

315000000 Hz

4.0 dBmV

42.9 dB

QAM256

297000000 Hz

3.7 dBmV

42.9 dB

QAM256

351000000 Hz

4.6 dBmV

43.3 dB

QAM256

357000000 Hz

4.4 dBmV

43.0 dB

QAM256

285000000 Hz

3.7 dBmV

42.9 dB

QAM256

369000000 Hz

4.5 dBmV

43.1 dB

QAM256

309000000 Hz

3.5 dBmV

42.6 dB

QAM256

381000000 Hz

4.2 dBmV

42.9 dB

QAM256

387000000 Hz

4.5 dBmV

43.1 dB

QAM256

393000000 Hz

4.3 dBmV

43.0 dB

QAM256

399000000 Hz

3.9 dBmV

42.6 dB

QAM256

327000000 Hz

4.0 dBmV

42.8 dB

QAM256

321000000 Hz

4.1 dBmV

43.0 dB

QAM256

417000000 Hz

3.8 dBmV

42.4 dB

Total Correctables

Total Uncorrectables

Upstream Bonded Channels

Channel

Lock Status

US Channel Type

Channel ID

Symbol Rate

Frequency

Power

ATDMA

5120 Ksym/sec

37000000 Hz

41.3 dBmV

ATDMA

2560 Ksym/sec

24200000 Hz

42.0 dBmV

ATDMA

5120 Ksym/sec

30600000 Hz

42.5 dBmV

TDMA

2560 Ksym/sec

19400000 Hz

40.8 dBmV

CM IP Address

Duration

Expires

D: -- H: -- M: -- S: --

--- --- -- --:--:-- ----

Current System Time: Sat Apr 15 00:09:42 2017

9 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Connection issues since March 12th.

[ Edited ]

I have an Ubee modem, here is the firmware page:

nformation

Standard Specification Compliant

DOCSIS 3.0

Hardware Version

Software Version

9.40.2121h1

Cable Modem MAC Address

28:56:5a:b1:20:76

Cable Modem Serial Number

G1K6U25018464

CM certificate

Installed

Status

System Up Time

7 days 09h:59m:03s

Network Access

Allowed

Cable Modem IP Address

---.---.---.---

My correctibles\uncorrectibles were actually 0s across the board when I first logged in back in March when the problem first started, but since then I've gotten a new modem as one of the Tech visits (I've had literally 15 techs visit my building, I'm not kidding). My modem reset itself last Friday, when they told me they would be fixing the issue (I was overjoyed that the internet went out, as I thought it would finally be fixed). They've replaced the Modem. The Coax in my apartment. The Drop was replaced last year when searching for an issue (turns out a bird or something chewed on the "500" cable that brings in the signal to the Taps on the top of your building, once that was replaced that issue resolved instantly).

The tap on the top of my building has been replaced. The plant & Maint tech that visited my building tested for packet loss at my insistence ("we don't normally test for that") and saw 16% packet loss. He moved up the main line to the Tap that serves the other side of my building, found packet loss there. He returned the next day to work on the amplifier thats located on the building next door, replaced the connections and all that jazz there, issue returned later that day.

From that point he wanted to service the next piece of equipment up the line, our node I am assuming, and was blocked by some construction, but almost 2.5 weeks later, The escalation team in Tier 3 contacted me out of the blue and informed me that Plant techs were able to locate the issue, and will fix it. (I call everyday to complain, but in fairness to Tier3, they do call me with real updates). I am finally told that the access team was able to get access to that location, and fix the problem. The problem is still occuring.

By the way, I can't seem to find the error log in the ubee modem, I only see one under "Telephony" but theres nothing there.

I connect to the modem via Ethernet for my work and streaming, of course, wifi is for netflix and cat pictures.

The odd and puzzling part is that the connection seems to drop at a specific time of day, and then it begins to work at some point between midnight and noon, aka the wee hours of the morning, EVERYDAY. Very occasionally the connection works all day, not once during the week for the last month, but last Sunday until dinner time East coast, two weekends ago it worked for both Sat and Sunday until 9pm est and 7 pm est respectively, and a few days it went an entire 24 hours not working (it seems, I do go to sleep).

To reiterate, the drop seems to always occur over 4 seconds.

Here are some ping tests over long periods of time. I uploaded to imgur so the format wasn't as bad as copy pasting here directly. Note that I label the tests rough times, so the actual test times of 5:44pm to 7:49pm I might label as 5pm to 8pm. Please also note again that "timeout" once it reaches hop 9 on some tests is fine, as that is pinging live.twitch.tv and as you can read here

http://imgur.com/a/KLocI

I have this data going back everyday to when the problem started.  Compiling this post has made me feel like Charlie in IASIP

Anyways hoping someone has some insight. The little I understand about all of this leads me to believe my connection is great, my SNR is great, I have some of the fastest connection speeds anyone at Time Warner now spectrum has ever seen. Maybe they're blowing hot air at me, but I dont see why they would. I would however gladly trade my 350 MBPS for 50 MBPS of steady no packet loss connection. I'd even trade for 6 hours a day of absolutely no internet, as long as I got a solid 10 hours of no issues internet, since I could work around that.

Edit: Added two tests as of 10:30 this morning, when the net works great. You can still see however there are connection problems potentially from the "Worst" column on the ping test. http://imgur.com/a/jt59H

Edit2: I also want to note that the correct\uncorrects havent changed in days, since at least Tuesday when I looked.

Expert

Ubees are junk, exchange it for a technicolor to get event/error logs.

Do not run any wireless, it will not work in an apartment building, turn at least the 2.4 gHz radio off

You have a signal issue.

do you have cable tv or any other jacks that are hot?

Look behind the wall plates for loose connectors and all hot jacks must have a terminator in them. Next issue is probably ground loop noise and or a bad building amplifier.

Try a battery operated laptop without a grounded plug direct connected to see if the issue clears up... if so install a CISP on the rg6 coax.

If you're trying to run a VPN, good luck, TWC won't support them

N/A

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

1. Ubees are junk, exchange it for a technicolor to get event/error logs.

2. Do not run any wireless, it will not work in an apartment building, turn at least the 2.4 gHz radio off

3. You have a signal issue.

do you have cable tv or any other jacks that are hot?

4. Look behind the wall plates for loose connectors and all hot jacks must have a terminator in them.  5. Next issue is probably ground loop noise and or a bad building amplifier.

6. Try a battery operated laptop without a grounded plug direct connected to see if the issue clears up... if so install a CISP on the rg6 coax.

7. If you're trying to run a VPN, good luck, TWC won't support them

just gonna respond to each piece.

1. I was told Ubee was the best, by multiple independant techs with no prompting from me, but I'll see what else can be tried.

2. This seems like a bit of nonsense, you're telling me no ones Wifi in the building should work? Theres a million wifis and everyone is using them all the time and theres usually no issue... regardless I am connected through ethernet for the connection I care about, the problem occurs with wireless on or off, with my personal router or without it, wifi on or off, and of course right now I am plugged directly into the Modem.

3. and 4. I let the techs finally replace the coax in our apartment "this is old and bad coax" except for the fact that there are old cables all over the roof, so the logic that I need the best in my apartment doesn't make sense to me, but fine, so literally everything has been replaced, there is a split for cable, that was also replaced, there are no unconnected lines anywhere. We've lived here 10 years, and been through several "upgrades".

5. The Amp was replaced by plant and Maint, and new connectors since the old had "oxidized", which I mentioned up above somewhere in that post.

6. Just ran a test with my laptop, Wifi on and off on the modem itself, Over wifi and directly plugged into the modem. Saw the issue in all 4 tests. I let them run for 300 pings, showing 5% loss generally.

7. I don't run or use a VPN.

I had a whole other response typed up, but the forum logged me out and I forgot to save into a Word doc (im too used to the ease of use from Reddit) but I Wanted to thank you for taking the time to read through and respond to my issue Ms Raye. It does seem like everyone assumes it has to be something in my building or apt, and I honestly wish that was the case since I feel as though one of the Techs who have been here would have found the issue. On one occasion 4 techs and a supervisor were here, and they saw packet loss plugged directly in on the roof of my building above my Tap, and were at a loss about what to do about it.

N/A

[ Edited ]

Just want to add that a supervisor in the escalation department contacted me again, and he sees all the same issues on his graph, with whatever upstream channel is causing all these issues.

Its an open job for Plant and Maint (for about the third time ) to work on at this point, so I guess I will update once I get more info.

Expert

[ Edited ]

Techs will tell you anything to get rid of you. issues, Goi to a TWC/spectrum store and get a non Ubee modem. We really need to see the log, without it, there are no more ideas I can give you.

You probably have numerous building wiring issue that are affecting you and everyone on the node which could be 500 customers.  All the "old lines on the roof" would be a good starting point. Post a photo of the tapoff, let's see if it's a potential issue.

Put a "CISP" on the coax line before the first splitter to at  least isolate any grounding issues you may be having.

As for wireless, what is happenning with a wired connection?

Highlighted
Established Sharer

I'll comment that it sounds like your modem tries to talk to the DHCP server, gets no response within one second, pauses, and retries again after four seconds; then that whole cycle repeats a few times.  Make sure your the DHCP lease time in your modem is set for a full day or longer.  I suggest manually entering 99999 (seconds) for lease time if you can.  Note that it's defined in seconds, so 3600 is one hour, so 99999 comes out to be not quite 28 hours.

Are you by any chance trying to run IPv6 addresses through your network  connection?  In general, if you are not forced to use IPv6 by some rogue server site that refuses IPv4 connections, I would recommend that you use only IPv4.  To test, try disabling IPv6 protocol on your ethernet adapter card and see if things improve - dramatically!! 

N/A

So just as an update, on my 5th plant and maint visit, the tech said they were able to pinpoint that the noise is only happening at my building, which narrows it 100% down to ingress on the taps, or problems at the amplifier.

The tech showed me all the noise on the line, and had to place filters on 4! drops in my building. That seems extremely puzzling to me given how would 4 drops all of a sudden start up with problems, and they will have to come back and fix them permanently.

The problem is also still occuring even with the filters on, so I don't know that it was the actual issue, though maybe the problem will be less though still occuring now.

Established Sharer

tedman wrote:

So just as an update, on my 5th plant and maint visit, the tech said they were able to pinpoint that the noise is only happening at my building, which narrows it 100% down to ingress on the taps, or problems at the amplifier.

The tech showed me all the noise on the line, and had to place filters on 4! drops in my building. That seems extremely puzzling to me given how would 4 drops all of a sudden start up with problems, and they will have to come back and fix them permanently.

The problem is also still occuring even with the filters on, so I don't know that it was the actual issue, though maybe the problem will be less though still occuring now.

Once again the techs are trying to hide the problem by using filters instead of tracking down and eliminating the noise source.   Keep calling them on it, tell them the filters did NOT resolve your problem, also that you expect a credit on your monthly bills for all of the time your service is impaired and not delivering at least 80% of the speeds in the package they bill you for.

Expert

In building coax is bad, there's probably also electrical ground loop issues.