Newcomer

Connection failing to only one site

I am connected to a vpn to work and it intermittently drops. The vpn is still up and active as i can ping it on my phone 4g network.

I can get to other sites fine on my twc connection but cannot get to the vpn site. The connection will come back up in maybe 20min or 30min. TWC support is no help saying its my work vpn but its not as i can accesses it on other networks.

The only thing common i can find in the modem logs below:

Anyone know what this means?

Modem logs:

Apr 11 2017 08:11:006-NoticeI401.0TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=20:3d:66:05:02:00;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:8a:5a:4d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Apr 11 2017 08:11:005-WarningZ00.0MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=20:3d:66:05:02:00;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:8a:5a:4d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=20:3d:66:05:02:00;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:8a:5a:4d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Connection failing to only one site

Thgat's indicating a signal issue, post it's pages, will not affect only one site but all

Established Sharer

The first thing you should do is visit the topic 

*****DATA TO POST TO GET HELP FROM THE COMMUNITY **..  by clicking on it here or in the topics list of the INTERNET - Connectivity Forum.   The second step will be to run two tracert tests, one to google.com and one to your VPN host site.  Post the results here in this forum as a reply.   Remember DO NOT reset or power-cycle the modem first, that will erase the historical data we need to analyze your service issues.

VPNs require zero transmission errors to ensure that it is still a Virtual PRIVATE Network and nobody is playing with the message contents.  If there is any interference on the upstream or downstream channels that causes just one uncorrectable error the link will drop.  Other streaming traffic works fairly well even when a few packet errors occur per minute.  That's why TWC will not take responsibility for operational problems on any user who runs a VPN.

Spectrum Employee

I checked that HFC MAC.

SIgnal power levels at your SB6141 are excellent, both upstream and downstream.

You have 0.0001% correcteds/CCER on the 19.4 MHz, at the worst which is AMAZINGLY good quality upstream.  Most customers would be envious for that quality of an upstream connection.  Approx a 40 dB upstream SNR, so it's no wonder (most customers are lucky to have around 35 SNR, myself included and i've not had issues with mine).

The modem log records you cited above are just some behind-the-scenes hits being sent to the modem.  That's business as usual and of no concern.

Have you been forcibly rebooting this modem?  Been seeing a lot of "cable modem reboot due to power reset".  Reminds me of the customer who said he unplugged his internet modem everytime he left the house and then wondered why a well-reviewed modem could have failed in only 6 years...  Once in awhile is no problem, but it shouldn't be daily for years on end.

Finally, I'll conclude that there's nothing wrong with the cable plant side of things, and you modem seems to be preforming it's job excellently.  And since you've reported that it's just this one work VPN, i'm going to say it's most likely 99.9...% going to be the work VPN's end being the root cause.  It's the other end of the connection that needs to be troubleshooted, or even the link between the two through the IXPs of the internet (any gamers here remember the Cogent.co server congestion in Texas?  Or the Tata Communications backbone in Virgina issue?)

Now whether or not there's anything you can do about that, unfortunately I think probably not.  You can try asking your employer, but this is why work VPN's can suck (I know because i use on over cellular connections for mine).  In our case we're constantly having issues with certain apps that rely on the VPN for going "out of sync" with the servers, and it's nothing as intensively reliant on QoS stability as what you're talking about.

You might want to look into Ethernet over Coax, a commerical business product we offer instead of residential.   Depends on how much more you want to pay in order to have the nth degree more QoS stability.  But in all seriousness your residential connection is excellent so it's going to be the other end that's the issue.

And yes, @karlbeckman is right on point about VPNs in general.  They have their purpose, but I hate it when they're being used to VoIP.

I wish we advertised not just on "up to" speed in Mbps but QoS reliability % as well, but I don't see that is being something ISPs in general could market on a residential services level.  Hell, it's hard to get a guarantee like that even on the commerical grade level.  Just one bad neighbor trying to mess with their fitting (or my famous lady customer who put a chicken decoration on her RadioShack store-bought coax wires like a hanger, pulled the fitting nearly apart and caused major internet issues for all her surrounding neighbors on her street).  What more speed can help with though is to give more lanes of traffic that packets can arrive down through at a faster bitrate, which in turn can give more tolerance for errors.  But even then it depends very VERY much on the other end too, the server's end.

For example, if I use let's say Mumble or Teamspeak for voicechat and I turn down the bit rate of the server people are connecting to, everyone starts to hear degraded voice.  But if I turn the bit rate up too high, people with internet connections that aren't fast enough will have to skip packet groups resulting in choppy voice quality.  They key to good VoIP is found in finding a good stable balance.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Established Sharer

@agentx5previously said:

For example, if I use let's say Mumble or Teamspeak for voicechat and I turn down the bit rate of the server people are connecting to, everyone starts to hear degraded voice.  But if I turn the bit rate up too high, people with internet connections that aren't fast enough will have to skip packet groups resulting in choppy voice quality.  They key to good VoIP is found in finding a good stable balance.

And trust me, THIS is the part where far too many Corporate Directors of IT screw up:  ALL users of the VoIP network must have SIMILAR performance on their network connection to the vendor's VPN Server for VoIP to work optimally.  SIMILAR connection speeds, SIMILAR ping delays, and SIMILAR routing over SIMILAR IXP carriers.  But these IT folks pre-test VoIP performance primarily using their INTERNAL private corporate networks or VPNs between large sites, not with user connections running across multiple shared distributed nationwide backbone involving numerous private carriers.  Then IT tells management that employees working at home offices or hot spots can use any available internet connection, whatever it might be, for VoIP and other company business applications.  That becomes a recipe for unexpected career path modifications when both employees and customers repeatedly experience poor audio quality, voice stuttering, or random disconnects.

Expert

Woman LOLHeart Karl, looks like I got force retired too soon to see that happen as well as the state using the cheapest service available (low bidder) to maintain timing critical VOIP networks thru multiple dsl/adsl connections to non dsl serviceable sites...  Dedicated TI or fractions thereof are "too expensive"

Will a biz class circuit connection  on spectrum be any better? I doubt it as it's still routed along with residential class subscribers, there is no direct fiber connection in most areas or one that someone working at home that can afford.

Expert

Copy and paste the modems signal level page... Don't reset it, Karl and I need to see real history.

Highlighted
Spectrum Employee

MsRaye wrote:

Will a biz class circuit connection  on spectrum be any better? I doubt it as it's still routed along with residential class subscribers, there is no direct fiber connection in most areas or one that someone working at home that can afford. 

To be blunt? It depends on where you are and what you're willing to pay for.  The cost also depends greatly on the quality of the existing infrastructure of where you are. Charter acquiring more subscribers though merger/takeover has essentially averaged out things, for both better and worse. Much of the infrastructure in most places in the USA is degrading/decaying faster than it is being upgraded or fixed (and I'm not talking just cable either, also talking electric, water & sewage, trash & recycling, roads, rails, and even airplanes).  How do you fix and upgrade infrastructure that is so widespread and time consuming?  Public services don't want to raise taxes more, and customers of private companies are already mad enough about how much they pay for their bills.  Guess they could cut employee benefits that weren't supposed to be touched with the merger agreement-- oh wait... ugh...  Anyways, we live in a culture of individual independence and individual freedoms here in the USA, but the downside is that too rarely do we think about the collective good.  It is what it is, and the only person you can truly control is yourself.  I prefer to be a positive influence on the those around me, that's my choice.  I'm fortunate to be on a team of mostly excellent, clever & hardworking peers.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.