Observer

Can you use your own wireless router with Spectrum's GIG modem?

I'm currently in the middle of a really frustrating experience involving a new Spectrum GIG install in Milwaukee. I won't bore you guys with the long story (1 1/2 hours in the store because the employees don't know the codes to sell the service, two straight days of Spectrum sending the "wrong level" techs out to my house, a third day of install attemps occuring today, etc.) but I have one simple question that no one at Spectrum (store sales, phone support, techs, everyone really) can answer for me: can you use your own wireless router with Spectrum's GIG modem?

I only ask this because the issue we are having with the install is that the gig service is coming in from the street and pushing out of the modem at 900/40 when wired directly into the modem. Then when I wanted to hook it up to my Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) - which is graded to work with Gigabit speeds at port and over WiFi (600/1300) - the Nighthawk doesn't even acknowledge the modem's existence, even after a full factory reset. A tech over the phone got it to be recognized at one point, but it was only pushing out 10/35 from the gigabit port, but upon resetting the modem, it again lost the ability to connect with the Nighthawk.

I've had a tech say it's my wireless router (not the case, was working fine with Spectrum's modem at 400/30 service, routinely pumping out 400/30 over WiFi, even), that you can only use the Wave 2 wireless router with the service (not a solution for me because I get almost no reception one floor below where the Wave 2 is installed, as well as somehow providing me with SLOWER speeds with the gigabit connection over WiFi within LoS [less than 5 feet] of the router), and from others in the process that say this might be a compatibility problem between this new modem and this particular router.

I'm at a loss here - no one at Spectrum can give me a straight answer. Or even worse, no one knows the answer. Out of four techs sent to my house in two days, only one of them had ever done a gigabit install. Phone support has been pretty much exhausted, and if today's install attempt goes sideways, I'll probably just end up downgrading to my previous service because, in actuality, it is faster with my wireless router.

Does anyone know if you can use your own wireless router with Spectrum's GIG modem? Or is there anyone out there that confirm there's a compatibility issue with the modem and the Netgear Nighthawk series of wireless routers?

Thanks in advance for any answers you guys can provide. It is much appreciated.

13 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Can you use your own wireless router with Spectrum's GIG modem?

See this post:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Spectrum-TV-for-Roku-Devices/How-I-fixed-my-RLC-1000-error-Roku...

Is your router cloning your old modem's MAC address?

You should be able to use your own equipment...

Observer

Thanks for the response, dstoffa.

When they replaced the modem with their new Spectrum GIG modem, I went through a factory reset to clear out any and all setting from my wireless router. Then I went through the setup procedure, but no Internet connection was pushing through to the wireless router. I even went as far as trying to see if cloning my PC's MAC address would help trick it into connecting, but no dice.

It's nice to hear that I should be able to use my own wireless equipment with the Spectrum GIG install. That flies in the face of many of the people that I've talked to that work at Spectrum, despite a few that insist...as you do...that I should be at a minimum be able to use my own wireless router.

Valued Contributor

No experience with gig config yet (we are a bit behind the times here)... but curious if it isn't something about how the router is getting config details from the modem. Thinking something the likes of DSL and PPPoE config versus setting it up to connect to a persistent pass-through device?
Observer

Thanks for your input, RAIST5150. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

I haven't had a single tech so far attempt to reconfigure the wireless router, minus the phone support walking me through the setup and MAC workaround. Netgear support took me through some setting changes for about an hour, but the modem never seemed to deliver a IP address or any information to the wireless router, minus that one short time where it was only outputting 10mbps.

Highlighted
Lead Moderator

So that we fully understand.

The modem and router we provide for the Gig works together? Only when you connect your own router is it not working? 

You are getting an IP when you are directly connected to our modem with a computer? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

Hello Julia...thanks for reaching out.

The GIG modem works - when hardwired to the computer it works...I get 900/45.

The GIG modem does not work when connected to a working (verified this twenty minutes before on a 400mbps connection) Nighthawk A1900. The router displays the internet as "Not Connected". A phone tech did get the modem to respond inside the router once, but that lasted for five minutes and only outputted 10mbps before a modem reboot knocked it back to "Not Connected".

The GIG modem works with the Wave 2 Wireless Router, but "works" is not exactly how I describe it. I get less range and slower speeds with the 1Gbps signal coming in than I did with the previous Spectrum modem at 400mbps and my Nighthawk A1900.

The modem doesn't appear to pass any data to the router - no IP address, nothing. I've factory reset my router a ton of times too.

Do GIG modems work with Netgear Nighthawk routers or any third-party routers? I'm sorry I keep asking, but no one seems to be able to answer it.

Lead Moderator

Yes, you are able to use your own router. 

Very clearly it says that Gig service requires a Spectrum D3.1 modem and unless you 

decline WiFi service you would also be provided a Spectrum owned router. 

When using our router what speeds were you getting?

Hardwired to the router _____________ Wireless________________

You are using the same Ethernet cable when testing direct to the modem and then reconnecting the router?

What model modem are you using? When you have our router connected what is the link light doing? On  and blinking? When you have your router connected (after powercycling first the modem then your router) what do you see the Link light doing on the modem? 

You are powercycling the modem (and router when using this device) when changing the configuration of what is connected to the modem correct? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Established Sharer

Sounds like the Wave2 router provided by Spectrum was incorrectly programmed if it did not deliver even half the rated download speed of when your computer is cabled directly into a modem LAN port.  The lack of employee familiarity with Gigabit service and hardware that you are experiencing may be one major reason that Spectrum has not approved any Gigabit-rated modems or gateways for customer purchase and installation.  They normally provide a Technicolor TC4400 gateway for Gigabit connections.

And since you said you had reset your router several times, I'll assume you know that any time you change the modem connected ahead of your [personally provided Netgear R7000] router, you MUST reset the router to factory defaults before attempting the self-install sequence.   This involves more than just turnng the device power off  for ten seconds and then back on again.  If you don't, the router won't collect all the needed Spectrum system setup values that are pushed over by the modem. 

Trusted Helper

Hello,

I am not an authority on this topic, but I did find some information:

1.) To get the faster speeds, you must change from a legacy TWC plan to a Spectrum plan.

(You can never go back after this.  legacy TWC plans are out of the system once switching.)

2.) You must have a Docsis 3.1 modem to get the Gigabyte speed. (I understand that Docsis 3.0 will give you an upgrade with a speed boost, but in order to get the maximum speed, you need Docsis 3.1.)  I think you will get up to 330 MB with Docsis 3.0

3.) You should read the article below to also make sure that your computer and hardware are compatible and ready for Gigbabit Internet.  Remember, you will never get the totally maximum range, but very close to that if all is well on your end, and ISP's end.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/upgrading-to-gigabit-internet/

Satch