Newcomer

Can no longer access my modem's web ui

First off I apologize if this is in the wrong subforum. I was not sure exactly where this should go. I recently upgraded to the Spectrum 100/10 from my old TWC extreme 35/5 that I had. The service itself has been fine, however I can no longer access my modem's web ui.

When I checked out the ipconfig it seemed odd to me, although I don't have enough knowledge to know for sure. Up until now I would use 192.168.0.1 to access the web ui, but that address seemingly no longer exists. I will post my ipconfig results below. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : woh.rr.com
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2605:a000:dfc0:b7:cd35:e1ac:f2b2:551c
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5c5:251e:2b01:b1e4%12
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 24.33.70.213
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:5cff:fe8d:6246%12

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:953c:20f6:1a8d:e7de:b92a
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::20f6:1a8d:e7de:b92a%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Can no longer access my modem's web ui

it's always at 192.168.100.1 on a router.

Established Sharer

Your posting is in the right forum.  The IP address you listed (192.168.0.1) is correct for the modem ONLY IF your router is set up properly.  If your modem was changed as part of the speed upgrade, you need to perform a factory reset on the router so it can load new network information from the modem.

The IP address being assigned to your computer is not correct if you have a separate router performing DHCP and NAT.  I see that you are trying to use IPv6 addressing, which may cause other network issues that you haven't yet discovered. 

Please give us a few clues about your installation, such as the modem model #,  whether you bought it or rent it from Spectrum, the model of your router (assuming that you use one), and whether the ethernet distribution to your devices  is hardwired or WiFi. 

Newcomer

The modem I am using is a Technicolor tc8715d that is rented from Spectrum. I do not use a separate router and have the wireless disabled. When it comes to networking i try to keep it as simple as possible. 

The use of ipv6 is only a recent development since the speed upgrade. Up until that point my addressing was ipv4. 

I have three devices that connect to the modem/router. Though only two at one time. I have a computer in a bedroom hardwired and then a computer and a PS4 in another room, but only one of those two devices is connected at one time.

I initially realized the differences in the ipconfig because i was trying to troubleshoot problems when swapping the connections of the PC and PS4. Unplugging the wired connection from one and plugging it into the other before would work without issue, however now when unplugging the connection from one and into the other, it requires multiple power cycles of the modem for the device to finally connect.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

First, you must have a separate media connection (CAT-5 cable or WiFi) for each computing device.  You  can't just swap a single cable between them without rebooting the gateway box every time, because each device has a different MAC addresss and the router gets confused about what box it is talking to.  Second, you said your gateway has its WiFi radios turned off.  It cannot be set in 'Bridging' mode; the NAT and DHCP routing functions must still both be enabled. 

If you can't snake another CAT-5 cable through the wall, another possibility would be to set up your PS4 to communicate over WiFi.  If your neighbors live close by and they also use WiFi that can open up a whole different set of problems.   It's your choice though. 

Established Sharer

andcscott wrote:

The modem I am using is a Technicolor tc8715d that is rented from Spectrum. I do not use a separate router and have the wireless disabled. When it comes to networking i try to keep it as simple as possible. 

I have three devices that connect to the modem/router. Though only two at one time. I have a computer in a bedroom hardwired and then a computer and a PS4 in another room, but only one of those two devices is connected at one time.

Here is the problem...  Since you are NOT paying Spectrum for in-home WiFi, the modem they have given you is set to bridge mode.  Only one LAN port will be active at any given time.

You will need to either:

1.  Pay Spectrum for in-home Wifi

2.  Buy and install your own Wireless Router, with nice big external antennas  (RECOMMENDED)

Newcomer

The modem is not in bridged mode. I manually disabled the wifi radios within the modem's ui interface when I first got the service (previous to my recent upgrade). I understand what you are saying as far as swapping cables and the devices having separate mac adresses and that makes perfect sense. However, the fact remains that i have done that before in the past.

When swapping cables on the ps4 and pc (and then power cycling the modem) should that effect the third device that is connected on my network (the pc that never gets unplugged?) I ask that because when power cycling the modem i will lose connectivity on the third device which is never unplugged (and i dont mean lose connection during the cycle, i mean even after the modem is back up and running). At that point i will run the windows troubleshoot utility and it will say that it cannot find a valid LAN ip address.

I wouldn't think that swapping cables on two devices and resetting the modem should affect a third device which is never unplugged but i don't know. It just seems very odd.

I've posted two screenshots from my modem settings showing that bridged mode is in fact not on. Is it odd that the address information shown in the modem settings is completely different from the ipconfig results? It also does not show any clients connected to the local IP network which isn't the case as i'm using a pc connected to it to post.

https://imgur.com/IDkY9xl

https://imgur.com/2aBPTCl

I also want to say thank you to MsRaye as my initial issue with not being able to get into the modem settings was resolved by going to 192.168.100.1. I am still posting though because of some of the other oddities that I have listed above.

Established Sharer

To understand you correctly, you are receiving the "free" modem/router from Spectrum, paying for in-home Wi-fi ($5 / month), but turning off the Wi-Fi?

I can't be certain, but if you don't pay for in-home Wi-Fi, I am under the impression your modem/router is only provisioned to modem and not route traffic...

Established Sharer

In your first screen shot I see three items that should be changed.

In the (upper) IPv4 panel:

First, change the DHCP Beginniing Address to to a last digit of 10 or higher.

Second, change the DHCP Lease Time to 24 Hours, not 1.

Then, in the (lower) IPv6 panel:

Set Stateful DHCPv6 to DISABLED

These changes should make things work a lot better.  Also make sure that both NAT and DHCP remain active in your gateway when you disable the WiFi radios.   Some models of gateway router will switch everything off at once, others have separate options for each parameter.  If your gateway belongs to Spectrum they may have to perform the setup manually for you.  Folks at the phone or chat help desks aren't empowered to make that change. 

Expert

dstoffa wrote:

To understand you correctly, you are receiving the "free" modem/router from Spectrum, paying for in-home Wi-fi ($5 / month), but turning off the Wi-Fi?

I can't be certain, but if you don't pay for in-home Wi-Fi, I am under the impression your modem/router is only provisioned to modem and not route traffic...

wireless radios on/off and bridged/ NAT are 2 different line items, modem can be doing nat with wireless off