Newcomer

C3000-100NAS Modem Hangs/Packet Loss when playing games. [Orange County]

I live in Santa Ana and I bought this modem yesterday replacing the one Time Warner Cable gave me and I started having increased ping and packet loss with these games...before when I had the other modem everything was fine but I cant really keep paying the rental fee so I went out and bought my own. 

my speed is 70/5 but my upload speed got worse with this new router.

Its a NetGear C3000-NAS100 (wired Ethernet to desktop)

it is up to date.

I also rebooted several times and even tried a factory reset but problem still persists.

This also happened a month back too with the other modem it lasted 3 days....unfortunately support couldn't find the problem so I waited it out and it fixed iteslf but with this new modem Im not sure what the problem is.

Diablo 2 (Ping Spikes)

Path of Exile (Ping Spikes)

Overwatch (increased ping and disconnects from servers)

Win MTR

Upstream/Downstream Channels

California

Orange County, Santa Ana

5 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: C3000-100NAS Modem Hangs/Packet Loss when playing games. [Orange County]

You seriously need a tech to inspect the lines/demarc/etc. There are WAY too many errors, and upstream power levels are pushing too close to automatic reboot territory. You are losing 1/4 your packets before you get out of the local plant because of it.
Newcomer

I didnt have this problem with the old router not sure why this new one is giving me packet loss/hangs but Ill have tech come and take a look at the cables because all I did was plugged in the new router and activate it.

Proven Sharer

Just a thought:  Your connection was working OK before you changed the modem.  You didn't have problems during the previous month since Spectrum replaced your previous modem.  Get another modem of the same model from Spectrum and re-register it on the network. 

There's a good chance the coaxial cable from the wall to the modem or one of the connectors is defective.  That should be the only cable connection that you need to change to swap modems. 

Newcomer

I went today to one of the spectrum offices and they replaced my old modem with a new model that they upgraded to and ever since its been working perfectly so it was indeed the Netgear modem that was the issue.

I tested it on Path of Exile,Overwatch,Diablo 2 

all perfectly playable again Smiley Very Happy

Sharer

May want to keep an eye on those signal levels for a while, just to make sure there isn't still something there to investigate. Not just because of the high error rates, but that swing of 44 to 51 on upstream power was sending up a red flag also. They should be much closer together, and hitting 52-53 will trigger a reboot on most models at those frequency ranges.

Something was likely injecting a lot of noise... the question is whether it was local to you or somewhere upstream. Just want to make sure that doesn't come back again.