Highlighted
Browser

Bought my own modem and have a question

Hello

I bought a Arris surfboard SB6190 and a linksys WRT3200ACM router.  after activating the modem I noticed my downlod speed has dropped down to around 22 Mbps download and around 24 Mbps upload. 

Is there anything I can do to correct this issue?

Thanks

13 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Bought my own modem and have a question

1) What internet package are you paying for?

2) What computer are you using?

3) How are you testing (wired to modem, wired to router, wireless)?

4) What site are you using to test?

5) What speeds were you previously seeing?

Browser

1   standard internet with extreme upgrade

2 Alienaware x51R2

3 I tested wired to moden,wired to router and wireless

4 speedtestnet and the linksys router has a speed test

5 was getting speeds around 120

Boz
Sharer

ccwoody wrote:

2 Alienaware x51R2

1) "standard internet with extreme upgrade" could mean different things in different areas (I think).  What Mbps are you supposed to be getting?

4) I think the experts here say you're supposed to use timewarnercable.com/en/support/speed-test.html for speed testing TWC.

Established Sharer

Boz wrote:

ccwoody wrote:

2 Alienaware x51R2

1) "standard internet with extreme upgrade" could mean different things in different areas (I think).  What Mbps are you supposed to be getting?

4) I think the experts here say you're supposed to use timewarnercable.com/en/support/speed-test.html for speed testing TWC.

Two correct points made by Boz, plus two more questions and a standard test procedure to follow:

Observation:  Your modem has a Gigabit WAN port and the router has Gigabit WAN and LAN ports.  That is both good and important.

2)  Is the computer's ethernet LAN port true Gigabit or just 100 bTX (Fast Ethernet? 

Are you using the CAT-5e Gigabit cable which was supplied with the data modem?

STP)  First run speed test with computer wired to modem WAN port using a known good CAT-5e Gigabit cable.  Use only the TWC Speedtest site, as noted by Boz earlier.

Next run speed test with computer wired to router LAN port, using the same CAT-5e cable. 

Last, run speed test with computer using WiFi connection to router.

Report your down and up speeds for all three test configurations.  That combination of numbers will tell us most of what we (and you) need to know. 

Browser

I visited my local time warner/spectrum store and was told that the moden I bought was defective and I need to take it back.   So I chatted with Arris Tech suport ans after checking a few things was told todo a factory reset and call my provider to activate the mdem again.  So I will do that and see whats up.

Expert

The TWC will tell you anything, usually trying you to rent their stuff.

TWC probably provisioned the 6190 wrong which they're notorious for doing to COAM gear then washing their hands of the issue they created.

You need tier 3 to fix the billing codes for the modem, the first tier simple can't or won't.

Browser

Tech came today and after checking a few things and replacing some connectors determined it is the new Arris modem I bought.  I got the replacement for the modem today also and will hook it up in the morning and hope that solves the problem. Smiley Happy

Expert

You haven't posted any relevant data so it's now anyones guess. What model was the old modem and the new one? What are the firmware versions and dates?

Very few issues are bad modems, it's mostly TWC network (intranet) between your modem and the real internet. Usuall with COAM modems, they provision them wrong and then lie thru their teeth until they finally fix your billing codes to reflect the proper modem.

Browser

[ Edited ]

The Arris modem I bought is model SB6190 I got it beacuse it is on the "recommended" modem list from TWC.  He did show me when the cable was hooked to his "meter" not the modem that it was showing over 300 mbps. 

Ok so how do I talk to someone who can check on and fix the billing codes? This will be my next step if there is no change after I hook up the new modem.

Now looking back I should have just put the TWC rental  modem/router into bridge mode.  But the wireless with the TWC equipment really sucks.