Browser

Better to have a separate WIFI router ?

Hi,

I'm using the ARRIS SBG6580-G228. It is a modem with integrated WIFI router. I seems to remember some old messages commented that it's better to have a separate WIFI router rather than integrated one ? I've some occasional WIFI connection problem in the past (past 2 years) but in recent 2 weeks, it is getting worse with the drop signals. My ethernet cable connection internet is still good, it is those WIFI devices that suffer. Anyone can provide any suggestions ? also recommendation of WIFI router ?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Better to have a separate WIFI router ?

Generally yes it is better to have a separate router, but it sounds like you are having interference problems. 

- Make sure anything that can be wired is wired.

- Use 5 GHz for fixed devices within line of sight of the router. Items such a smart tv or game console. 

- Anything else using 2.4 GHz should not be using a congested channel that is commonly used by your neighbors and probably should be channels 1,6, or 11. 

- Some common household items can cause interference. Items like fluorescent bulbs, microwaves, baby monitors, and cordless phones should be kept away from the router. 

Browser

Thanks for the reply reds.

Yes, I will give it a try on changing the channel.

I've two IPADs on 5GHz but it's dropping as well. 

My friend recommend this WIFI router : TP-LINK AC3150 Wireless WIFI Gigabit Router. 

Expert

That combo unit is obsolete and you won't get IPv6 on it either. it has limmitted acceptance bandwidth and won't perform well if there's any channels beyond a span of 96 mHz.

Copy and paste the error log and signal level pages for a start...

They are reliable but I'll bet you have a coaxial issue.

Highlighted
Expert

Get a router with visible antenna's.. The internal ones are lucky to cover 2 rooms over. Also, if it keeps showing resets due to interference , turn off the channel scan and lock it to ch 3 or 8 on the 2.4 gHz band

If you need camera/ game ports, you also need an ext router since the all in one combo's allow the cable co to reset settings you made.

Browser

Thanks MsRaye.

Pardon my newbie’s questions :

My exact model is ARRIS SBG6580-G228.

According to the link, this SBG6580 should support IPv6 :

http://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/wi-fi-cable-modems/sbg6580-2/

However, I noticed in the following link that says SBG6580 is not IPv6 compatible : https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html. Getting more confused here...

With IPv6 feature, I can maximize the WIFI speed ?

More Questions :

Under the Wireless page of 192.168.0.1 :

1) the 802.11 Band is currently set to "2.4GHz". Should it be 5.0GHz ?

2) Control Channel is currently set to "Auto". Should it be better at 3 or 8 ? 6 or 11 ? It recommends 6 or 11 in the following link :

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6580-Changing-the-Wireless-Channel/?l=en_U...

For the wireless-network: I’m using MOTOROLA-3ED63_2.4

Expert

IPv6 in combination with IPv4 will slow your ds down significantly. If you have an IPv6 capable device and it's only showing an IPv4 addy in network connections, the 6580 is not IPv6 compatible....

They are 8 year old technology and need to be replaced... TWC was throwing new ones out a year ago...

Expert

do a wifi scan with your phone.. Are channels 1-6-11 heavily used? And really strong?

If so, is your modem going into scan mode/ resettting?

If so, turn off scan and lock it on ch 3 or 8

Browser

Thanks MsRaye.

Under the Wireless page of 192.168.0.1 :

the 802.11 Band is currently set to "2.4GHz". Should I set it to 5.0GHz ?

Expert

If all your devices have 5gHz radios, you can. But, I'll bet range will be worst.