Rookie

Best Modem/Router combo for Extreme package

Wanting to buy my own modem and router but not sure what to buy. Would love some suggestions. Wanting to stay on the cheaper side but also i don't want to sacrifice quality just to save money. I have the home phone too, but i dont care if it is hooked up. I haven't hooked it up once in the two years i have had TWC. We have the extreme package and mainly just browse the internet and stream videos. Thanks!

8 REPLIES
Expert

.Re: Best Modem/Router combo for Extreme package

A seperate modem and router not an all in one

Rookie

Re: .Re: Best Modem/Router combo for Extreme package

Do you have any specific recommendations on what you think would be best?

Expert

probably a 16x4 modem like a 6183  and if you need decent wireless coverage, a router with external antennas

Spectrum Employee

For most market areas you can't go wrong on your choice with a modem that has 16 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels.

Spoiler
There are also available 32 downstream and 8 upstream channel modems, but that's more if you want to "future proof" (although I hate that term because nothing is truly future proofed) for future speed upgrades we do.   Look at reviews, the surfboard series has been a popular one because they are generally reliable.  But there are other choices out there.

For WiFi routers... which are technically a combination of a wireless access point, an ethernet switch, and a NAT routing software controller.... what you really want is a 802.11ac capable WiFi router.   There's a huge number of brands and models out there, but at the end of the day look for 802.11ac with external dipole antennas (has antennas you can physically see, not just a strip of metal on the circuit board inside the plastic housing).

Spoiler
 In the world of antennas, bigger is better, but it also matters the strength of the transmitter and sensitivity of the receiver.  Manufactures of WiFi routers don't typically declare the strength of their antennas (measured in dBm), but you can sometimes get a hint off of the Consumer Electronic's required label that lists the amperes the device uses (i.e.: my Nighthawk uses up to 0.5 amps, peak max).  If you need more range, start looking at additional wireless access points to create more than one source of light (WiFi is a low-power short-wave radio or long-wave mircowave depending on who you ask, it's a type of electromagnetic radiation just like visible light).   Charter/TWC doesn't install LAN hardware (like range extenders), and due to the complexity and situational-dependencies (how the house is laid out, what are the walls made off, etc. etc...) it's usually best to hire a professional to do the one-time installation properly.  A lot of home-theater professional install services these days have specalized tools to optimize such a setting.  But you really only need to mess with that if you have a huge house.  Your average home only needs one good-quality strong source of WiFi, just one good wireless router.
My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Rookie

Re: Best Modem/Router combo for Extreme package

Hi. I bought the netgear CM400 as a modem, it's twc approved, and the netgear R6300 smart wifi router for the modem. This set up will be good for about 360mbps so should be ample. Also has a good wifi range. Cost around $105 for the 2 so cheaper than 1 year of hiring through twc. I use the 20mbps Internet service and stream TV. No issues at all. Good luck.
Rookie

Re: Best Modem/Router combo for Extreme package

Thanks!

Rookie

Awesome Thank You!

Rookie

Thank You!