N/A

Bad internet... something I thought I would never do again.

I have had VERY poor internet service since about November. I have called about five times and they run me through the same excersice. Unplug, unplug cable, blah, blah, blah. It works, usually. A lot of un doing that about three times a day. Tech support people (when you can understand them) are so proud of them selves when we unplug and I regain service. They don't realize that I do that myself alot! I have replaced the modem and all cables. No improvement. When I am online my speeds vary tremondously. Sometimes I am crawling and sometimes I am sprinting. My streaming devices reboot constantly! I am about to give up on Spectrum.  I thought I would never do it again, but Cincinnati Bell is becoming a real possiblity in the near future. They will rob you blind, but at least I will be able to get online.

Dean P.

Florence, KY

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Bad internet... something I thought I would never do again.

Read posts here and post pertinent info so someone can help you...,

Highlighted
Established Sharer

So today's lessons are the same as every other day's lessons when you are dealing with TWC's help desk: 

First, unplugging the modem power and reconnecting it DOESN'T FIX YOUR NETWORK PROBLEM!!  It only forces the modem to restart by getting the same internet US and DS channel lists from TWC over and over again. 

Second, THE PROBLEM IS NOT IN YOUR MODEM!!  Your problem is upstream, beyond the modem and cable connectors that you have tightened up.

Third, the ONLY things the help desk can do are to reboot your modem and send it a new configuration file.  They can not remotely read your modem's line levels, nor can they adjust your line speeds.  They are expert in telling you these and various other untruths, such as that your lags and jitter will be lower if you buy up to a faster level of internet service. 

Expert

They can look at levels and errors but don't. They just get a red/yellow/ green indicator.

Resetting the modem simply clears out the log file and makes it more difficult to determine what's been happenning to your connection, It doesn't fix anything unless you have an all in one combo and the reset fixes routing issues.

SRB
Newcomer

Since the first of 2017 the internet connection has been extremely slow. Noticably different before Spectrum offical takeover. Unfortunatley in Warren County OH my options are few. I wisj I had access to Cincinnati Bell as I woudl switch today.

Expert

what modem do yo have?

What speed do you pay for?

Copy and paste the signal level and error log pages, don't reset it, need to see actual history.