uj
Spectrum Employee

Re: Awful speed, awful support, awful service

This shows a technician visit is definitely needed as previously stated. 

------
My posts are my own and not the views of my employer.
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Thanks for sending both modem diagnostic reports, the information is VERY helpful. 

First, you have a severe incoming signal level problem.  The mininmum acceptable signal level is -8.0 dBmV with a SNR of at least 35 dB.   Not even one of your eight DS channels meets those minimum values.  That is causing the Warning and Error messages.   NOTE:  Spectrum must fix the incoming signal level issue first!  The modem MUST connect to the very first two-way splitter coming from the pole drop. 

Second, you also have severe ingress (leakage) interference on DS channels  25 and 26, which is probably coming from a nearby Sprint 4G LTE cell tower. 

Third, your 2.4 GHz band WiFi radio is encountering interference from other signals on all three normal channel assignments (1, 6, and 11).  Try changing the 2.4 band channel from its current setting 11 to either 4 or 8.  

Until the levels in #1 are fixed you won't get a valid Speedtest reading, but to get this closed eventually we will need to know what speeds you are supposed to be receiving.  

Last, to explain what's behind using the Spectrum Ookla Speedtest:  This end-to-end test measures speed from your computing device through your equipment connection all the way to Spectrum's IXP, where your data packets head off toward the internet.  Beyond the IXP,  Spectrum has zero control over the network environment or equipment, each of which can add significant delays.

Trusted Helper

@karlbeckmanwrote:

Thanks for sending both modem diagnostic reports, the information is VERY helpful. 

First, you have a severe incoming signal level problem.  The mininmum acceptable signal level is -8.0 dBmV with a SNR of at least 35 dB.   Not even one of your eight DS channels meets those minimum values.  That is causing the Warning and Error messages.   NOTE:  Spectrum must fix the incoming signal level issue first!  The modem MUST connect to the very first two-way splitter coming from the pole drop. 

Second, you also have severe ingress (leakage) interference on DS channels  25 and 26, which is probably coming from a nearby Sprint 4G LTE cell tower. 

Third, your 2.4 GHz band WiFi radio is encountering interference from other signals on all three normal channel assignments (1, 6, and 11).  Try changing the 2.4 band channel from its current setting 11 to either 4 or 8.  

Until the levels in #1 are fixed you won't get a valid Speedtest reading, but to get this closed eventually we will need to know what speeds you are supposed to be receiving.  

Last, to explain what's behind using the Spectrum Ookla Speedtest:  This end-to-end test measures speed from your computing device through your equipment connection all the way to Spectrum's IXP, where your data packets head off toward the internet.  Beyond the IXP,  Spectrum has zero control over the network environment or equipment, each of which can add significant delays.

Agree with everyone,

OP, needs a truck roll.  Your signals are terrible.  You got no place to go but up with a service improvement by getting a truck roll.  The truck roll is free and you will be on the way to getting this fixed.  If you don't get a tech out, your service will very likely never improve.

Satch

Spectrum Employee

modem1.png

I concur 100%, this very badly needs a troubecall appointment.

Your service will NOT improve without repairs by a tech on-site.

Only thing I'd add to what @karlbeckman already wrote, is this:

In order of best speed & stability:

#1)  Ethernet,

particularly gigabit ethernet. 

#2) 5.0GHz WiFi,

particularly both an 802.11ac source(WAP) and device, and ideally both capable of using 4-channel bonding (80 MHz width) of 20+20+20+20MHz.

#3)  2.4 GHz WiFi,

If you can't see the 5.0GHz, then use the 802.11b/g/n on the 2.4GHz band but for the love of kittens please set it lock to either 1, 6, or 11. Don't be a jerk riding the middle of the lane of the road, so to speak.  (in technical terms, please don't be the cause of adjacent interference for both yourself and neighbors).  The 2.4 GHz does have more range (because it's a lower frequency) but at a loss of speed.  Won't typically get much more than 40 Mbps on 2.4GHz at best.

WiFi is data packet collison avoidance and dependent on environmental factors such as adjacent inteference, co-channel interference & utilization (everything has to take it's turn), and non-802.11 inteference (aka. noise).  Thus, WiFi is not and has not ever been guaranteed for speed.   Not sure what the run around is here... This topic/case-example seems pretty straight forward to me:

1. Schedule a TC to fix low RF power  levels.  Replace fittings if needed, check tap, remove splitters / add amp, etc.
  2. Educate customer about 5.0GHz WiFi, optimize 2.4GHz channel, and try to see where ethernet or a "powerline networking adapter" could be recommended.
My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.