Rookie

Awful speed, awful support, awful service

I guess this is not a right place to post a complaint, but Spectrum did not leave me any choice. Could not find any real support system with tickets, that you can track. Their support agents know only one solution - reboot modem. I DID! 100 times a day, actually. I'm a network engineer and I can trace Smiley Happy  Sometimes, after multiple attempts to renew IP lease, I can end up with 2Mbit, which is a total happines. Most of the time I get 1Mbit top. Dear Spectrum. Are you kidding me?  I want my old fast and stable Oceanic service back.  Just in case anybody from spectrum read is: I live in Wailuku, HI.

13 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: Awful speed, awful support, awful service

Good morning!

If you would like to get input from your peers here in the forums we have a link that will direct you with what information would be helpful in the investigation of the problem: 

/DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY/

If you are looking for direct support we encourage you to contact our 

Social Media Customer Care team at :

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

or
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

They can escalate the problem to the help desk and have this looked into that way. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

Thank you for answering. As I mentioned, I'm a network engineer. I can review trace and modem logs by myslef.  Modem log does not show any critical issues. Trace is pretty stable, only list of internal IPs and rr.com domains is changing after renewing IP lease. Depending on the internal route and time of day, the speed vary from 1Mbit to 4Mbit. The obvious guess is: a) internal routing problems; b) network capacity issues. I will try to post it on FB.

Trusted Helper

@vbickovwrote:

Thank you for answering. As I mentioned, I'm a network engineer. I can review trace and modem logs by myslef.  Modem log does not show any critical issues. Trace is pretty stable, only list of internal IPs and rr.com domains is changing after renewing IP lease. Depending on the internal route and time of day, the speed vary from 1Mbit to 4Mbit. The obvious guess is: a) internal routing problems; b) network capacity issues. I will try to post it on FB.

Hello,

Best thing would be to get a tech out to check your Internet signals and drop line. You should avoid resetting any equipment (cable boxes, modems, routers) for six hours prior to your tech visit.  This will avoid a reset of the error codes that the tech needs to see.  Other questions. Do you rent a modem/router from Spectrum?  If you have Wireless Internet, is your router Series N or higher for strong dynamic range?  How old are the router and modem?

Are you on a TWC plan or Spectrum Internet plan?  This is important because you can  only get the 100MB  plan depending on area, if you have Spectrum billing. TWC Internet only goes up to 50MB.

CAUTION-  If you are on a legacy TWC Triple Play Package and are happy with it, still getting good prices, I would say don't switch to a Spectrum Plan,  You will be paying more money in the long run and if you are a Whole House DVR subscriber, you will lose that service, as Spectrum only provides that on grandfathered  TWC accounts.  Additionally, once you switch to a Spectrum plan, you can never go back to a TWC plan, as the legacy billing plans are out of the system.  Use care before changing plans.

However, if you only have Internet service from Spectrum and are on TWC-legacy Internet plan, I would recommend the upgrade.  You should also have a DocSis 3.0 modem for the faster speeds.  First though, I would get your signals checked out and use my recommendations above.

Regards,

Satch

Rookie

Satch,

Trust me, my plan is not important. 100Mbit or 50Mbit are the numbers I never saw with Spectrum.   I have both wifi and wire.  The age of modem would be relevant  if I experienced frequent disconnections, or  log indicated some errors, or I could not reach e.g. 20Mbit. Right now, writing this response, I'm getting 0.3Mbit, and I had 4-5Mbit with the same modem 8 hours ago at 4 am (because nobody used the internet).   I really do not understand what exactly tech can fix in my house, if the problem is not here. 

speed.PNG

Vlad

Trusted Helper

@vbickovwrote:

Satch,

Trust me, my plan is not important. 100Mbit or 50Mbit are the numbers I never saw with Spectrum.   I have both wifi and wire.  The age of modem would be relevant  if I experienced frequent disconnections, or  log indicated some errors, or I could not reach e.g. 20Mbit. Right now, writing this response, I'm getting 0.3Mbit, and I had 4-5Mbit with the same modem 8 hours ago at 4 am (because nobody used the internet).   I really do not understand what exactly tech can fix in my house, if the problem is not here. 

speed.PNG

Vlad

Ugghhh!

Set up a truck roll.  And like I said, don't reboot anything for six hours prior to your appointment.  This is not something that is going to be fixed over the phone or through Spectrum social media chats.  You need a service call, badly.  When you tech comes, I would like you to show him the graphic above.

You need signal checks, line-checks and wiring checks.  Something is very wrong.  Did you know that you can also set up signal monitoring from Spectrum?  I would recommend that for two months.  Let's see what going on here.  Get this fixed.  Please post back to tell us what the tech says and does.   If the first tech does not fix this, get someone else out, but there is something very wrong here.

Listen, if you don't want to go through calling and the scripted "Reboot your modem" response again, you can contact a mod with this information by clicking on @Forums_Help.  Send a private message to them. Provide your account information and a description about your slow Internet service.  Say you have done many reboots without success.  You can even refer them to this thread here showing your Internet Speed.  They will get somebody to check this out for you at your home and outside your home.

The issue at your home could be your signals, trap, or drop line issue.  All of these need to be checked and evaluated.  I had Spectrum out to do put in a new main inside line when all my services were going bad.  It turned out that the inside line was thirty years old and needed to be replaced.  After that was installed, the drop and tap were good, but there was a small dip in the signal and they had to send out a maintenance guy to fix that.  Field Techs come to the door.  Maintenance guys stay out side and work on wiring, taps, and the cable infrastructure.  The signal  dip was due to a problem further down in my neighborhood.  That's why you need an on-site service call to begin getting this investigated.

Satch

Highlighted
Community Manager

@vbickov,  

@Satch is correct.  You will need a service call.  I was able to locate your account based on your registration information and the RX levels are considerably out of range, indicating an issue outside your home, likely a wet or damaged coax line.  This would also explain why your download speeds are impacted and your upload speeds appear fine.   You can call in,  visit a store or contact us directly for further assistance.  

James  

Established Sharer

We customer volunteers who staff the peer-to-peer Customer Forums are here to help you resolve connection issues so you get the data transfer speeds you are paying Spectrum for.  Since you are a data network engineer, you would understand our requests for accurate information and use of a well-defined test process.  First we would like to see the Signal Level report as well as the Event-Status report.  These two modem data files in combination give us a fairly good picture of the working environment of the cable system infrastructure; as you might suspect that often absolves the customer's equipment.  

Next we'll ask what data speeds you are subscribed to, your ZIP Code, and your computer's recent Speedtest results, specifically when using Spectrum's own Ookla server and an ethernet wired connection directly into the modem's LAN port (bypassing your router and WiFi).  That's enough for now, the next queries will depend on results from steps 1 and 2. 

Rookie

@James_M, @karlbeckman

Thank you for your input. I will set the appointment  once I have a time. However,  I still do not think that the problem is related to "wet cable", or something like this.  Sure, the weather is pretty wet latelly , but the problem persist for months. Also, I'm glad that you've mentioned Spectrum's speedtest. This test automatically selects a local server, such as  Mauna Lani, Hawaii, and shows awesome results. Right now I'm getting  ~14Mbit, according to Spectrum's speedtest, and 0.6Mbit accroding Google's speedtest.  Results may vary depending on time of day, but  Spectrum's test is always much much better, and not reliable. This is actually the main problem with Spectrum. I'm not interested in a fast Hawaiian internet. I need a fast internet in general.  So, I estimate 80% probability that this whole dance with technician is just a waste of time.

speed2.pngspeed3.png

Rookie

@karlbeckman

...in addition :

modem1.pngmodem2.png