Observer

Arris TG1672G failing to assign IP addresses via DHCP

I have been fighting with my Arris TG1672G router for months: DHCP either is slow or not working at all. Sometimes it might take 20 minutes for a device to get an IP address. I tried to maintain my devices via static addresses for a while, but that soon becomes a real pain, especially for some devices that don't have a way to manually set the address or determine its MAC address. Plus, I have dozens of devices in my home; wired and wireless. 

I've called customer support multiple times. I drove into Austin, 25 miles, to get a replacement router and that did not fix the problem. I called for a technician to come out but he was a "cable guy". He knew nothing about how a router and DHCP works. I cannot seem to get any knowledgable technical support for this problem. 

I finally just decided to disable DHCP and wireless on the Arris router. Then I got my old Netgear  wireless router and connected it to the network. DHCP has been working fine ever since.

I used to have no problem with the Arris router. I suspect that IPv6 was enabled on it at some point or changes in the firmware broke something. 

So why am I paying $10 a month for this Arris piece of junk that can't handle dual stack and  DHCP? And why can't Spectrum provide knowlegable support?    

6 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Arris TG1672G failing to assign IP addresses via DHCP

So why am I paying $10 a month for this Arris piece of junk that can't handle dual stack and  DHCP?

I can't answer that.  I can tell you that I supplied my own cable modem (modem only, not the combo junk that Spectrum loves) quite some time ago, when it was still Time Warner Cable, kept that $10 in my pocket (which paid for the modem inside of 6 months) and have been happy about that part of my Internet experience here.

And why can't Spectrum provide knowlegable support? 

That one I can answer, it's a mantra I've repeated before:

Spectrum doesn't know how to provide cable TV service.

Spectrum doesn't know how to provide Internet service.

Spectrum doesn't know how to provide home phone service.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

terrym21 wrote:

I have been fighting with my Arris TG1672G router for months: DHCP either is slow or not working at all. Sometimes it might take 20 minutes for a device to get an IP address. I tried to maintain my devices via static addresses for a while, but that soon becomes a real pain, especially for some devices that don't have a way to manually set the address or determine its MAC address. Plus, I have dozens of devices in my home; wired and wireless. 

I've called customer support multiple times. I drove into Austin, 25 miles, to get a replacement router and that did not fix the problem. I called for a technician to come out but he was a "cable guy". He knew nothing about how a router and DHCP works. I cannot seem to get any knowledgable technical support for this problem. 

I finally just decided to disable DHCP and wireless on the Arris router. Then I got my old Netgear  wireless router and connected it to the network. DHCP has been working fine ever since.

I used to have no problem with the Arris router. I suspect that IPv6 was enabled on it at some point or changes in the firmware broke something. 

So why am I paying $10 a month for this Arris piece of junk that can't handle dual stack and  DHCP? And why can't Spectrum provide knowlegable support?    

There are at least a few  folks on this forum who know that rental gateways are programmed to allow only a limited number of DHCP addresses, usually 25.  If you have "dozens of devices in my home, wired and wireless" you are using up all of the available DHCP assignment and then the next device has to wait until the oldest lease expires. 

So what can you do about it? 

1]  Don't believe the latest Spectrum TV promos when they say "You'll have enough speed for all your devices." 

2]  Buy your own router so you can have over 100 devices. 

3]  Understand that your WiFi will be fairly congested.

Expert

Since you have a 1672, I'll bet you have TWC phone.. You cannot run IPv6 and TWC emta phone in a 1672, it has been a problem since 2013 and never fixed, the solution is to get a technicolor.

Next issue is that you cannot start DHCP or use static ip's in the 192.168.x.2 to .10 range. You must start DHCP at 192.168.x.100 and use 192.168.x.99 on down for static IP,s

Lease should be a day not an hour.

If you want IPv6 and phone, buy a seperate modem and router, leave the phone on the 1672.

DO NOT TRY TO USE AN ALL IN ONE!

Observer

Thanks for the info. The only reason I keep the TG1672 is for phone. It all started going downhill when I started seeing IPv6 addresses being assigned. Virtual none of my home devices support IPv6, except for mobile phones. I may go back and see if I can just disable 6 on the LAN side.
Expert

Basicly, IPv6 doesn't work... Turn it off.

On business class installs they do not use combo units, had to use a seperate one for phone service. I have customers with 3 modems...

Established Sharer

As MsRaye said, the only config that seems to work for mixed IPv4 and IPv6 requires two separate Ubee modems, one with EMTA for the telephone connection and a separate Ubee unit just for the internet and WiFi.  They typically install two identical modems; the third one that was mentioned is only used for a WiFi Hot Spot on a Spectrum Enterprise connection, not available for home service.