Not applicable

Arris SB 8200

Hi

any news on the certification of the SB 8200. Best modem at the moment and not good that Spectrum still does not support it...

18 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Arris SB 8200

@ttammann

Modems need to be tested on our network before they are approved.   I've included a link to Approved Modems.  This link will be updated with there are changes or when newly approved modems are added.  

Proven Sharer

@ttammann wrote:

Hi

any news on the certification of the SB 8200. Best modem at the moment and not good that Spectrum still does not support it...

Since Spectrum does not charge you a fee for a modem (unless you are still on the ELP at $14.99), why not take their modem, and put the burden on them to guarantee you the speeds you pay for?  (I assume you have your own wireless router....  and this SB 8200 is not an all-in-one.)

Not applicable

why? because I do not like the shipped modem and because I should have a choice like with other providers

Helper

While the SB8200 isn't officially supported, I have seen very few reports of customers in former TWC areas having a problem getting it activated on all tiers except gigabit.  It will probably  work just fine if you activate it today.

Not applicable

yes, it works. but not with full 400Mbit and also no remote firmware upgrade...working is not same as "supported"....again, its currently one of the best, if not the best modem out there. Its not exotic in any way but rather mainstream. Spectrum should support it...

Established Sharer

If you want Spectrum to support whatever modem any customer might think is the best for any given data speed tier, are you also willing to pay the costs that Spectrum incurs to develop the initial boot files, keep their technical staff trained on the SB8200, and keep all units of that model up to date whenever the manufacturer finds a software bug?  Support won't be free when it has to be all-encompassing.

Proven Sharer

@karlbeckman wrote:

If you want Spectrum to support whatever modem any customer might think is the best for any given data speed tier, are you also willing to pay the costs that Spectrum incurs to develop the initial boot files, keep their technical staff trained on the SB8200, and keep all units of that model up to date whenever the manufacturer finds a software bug?  Support won't be free when it has to be all-encompassing.

I agree.  The ability to choose a modem needs to weigh against the ability of the provider to adequately serrvice my chosen modem and ensure my choice doesn't degrade service for others..

If / when I get forced off ELP, I will take their free modem (once mine fails or is no longer supported) and not worry about getting my own modem to work on the system...

If Spectrum gave a credit for "bringing your own modem", I might consider buying one.

Not applicable

Hi

I get the business perspective. However, in this case

a) competition supports the 8200

b) the 8200 is anything but exotic, but actually toadys best choice for a docsis 3.1 modem

given these facts, I think it is not just reasonable to expect Spectrum to support this modem, but actually, Spectrum fell way behind NOT doing so. I suspect an underlying technical issue that hinders them to do so. Must be somewhere old and outaded hardware (or just really old and outdated mindset). 

Participant

Where did you get the 'not full 400mbit' info? I added an SB8200 last month for my parents at their house and get 420-450 with no trouble, only took about 5 minutes on the phone.