Highlighted
Not applicable

Are router configurations stored in the Spectrum cloud? Strange thing happened.

Hello,

I recently replaced my Specturm provided router with a new one from Spectrum (you can upgrade all your rented equipment just by bringing it in to an office) .   Before going into the router config I used a mobile app to scan for a good channel  and saw my "old" SSIDs for the both the 2.4 and 5Ghz being broadcast.. and I was like.. where is that coming from?  I installed the app after I took back my previous router so I knew it wasn't cached or something.  When I did get into the router configuration I was blown away that the settings were indeed already there (SSIDs for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz and passphrase)... and the mobile app was 100% correct.  The new router was wrapped in plastic so the guy at the Spectrum office couldn't have transfered any settings ( I unwrapped it).  The only thing that I can think of is that Spectrum must store your router settings in the cloud.. and these routers can access those settings.  I did some research and didn't find any evidence that this feature is a thing.. so I am a bit confused as to how this happened.  Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Doug

1 REPLY
uj
Spectrum Employee

Re: Are router configurations stored in the Spectrum cloud? Strange thing happened.

You are correct. This is a feature that was added some time ago to make it easier for customers or technicians when swapping equipment. 

------
My posts are my own and not the views of my employer.