Participant

Any update on speed increases for Cleveland, Ohio?

I remember Time Warner saying Speed increases were coming to Cleveland (300Mbps).  However, that was a year  now and have noticed no new options.  

I have noticed AT&T has put Cleveland on list of cities for Gigapower service.  

https://www.att.com/shop/internet/gigapower/coverage-map.html

Thought maybe that would speed things up a little.  

If not, I may jump over to AT&T when the line drops are complete in the area.  

12 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Any update on speed increases for Cleveland, Ohio?

Verizon has a fast service in Twinsburg... Hudsons putting in their own 1 gig fiber network.. A couple cleveland burbs were talking google fiber.

TWC is  months behind... There are 16x4 channels online for modems but they've yet to move anyone on them. They're on the 4G LTE channels and most of Northeast Ohio is on decrepid outside lines and will be trashed by 4G phones & Devices. Only the new underground developments are reasonably clean.

There's still a bunch of analog cable channels on the cable as well

Spectrum Employee

I know we're working diligently in all markets to get everyone to speeds of up to 300mbps but there is a lot of infrastructure to update, repair, or replace. While we would hate to lose you as a customer, the choice is always yours to stay or go, and if you choose to go, we'll be glad to welcome you back at any time. 

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Participant

I dont blame you for jumping when you get the chance.

TWC has been telling us here in Jasper Indiana MAXX was right corner for months now.

Was told by several people the 16th of this month the upgrade was coming then it was moved to March 16th but some say no time table.

Smithville is currently laying fiber here now and beginning installs into homes very soon so as soon as my neighborhood becomes available I will jump as well as long as TWC keeps delaying MAXX.

Spectrum Employee

The thing I don't get is what is the actual need for increased speeds? High Definition video streaming only requires a 5mbps connection (click to see Netflix's recommended speeds). As MsRaye, who is extremely well informed, can tell you, 15x1 is more than enough if you have a properly setup home network. This idea of faster is better is not entirely accurate. Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't get faster internet. It's coming. But it may not even be necessary for what you use your internet for, and you may still have some devices that can't receive more than 100mbps regardless (I would definitely check your NIC cards on your devices before jumping ship to "faster" to make sure you can handle faster)

Participant

I build custom PCs for people mainly gaming rigs and I download and install most of their games for them.

Download speed is everything for me and I know everything on my Network is 1 gig ready except my SB6183 modem.

Spectrum Employee

HeisenbergFX4 wrote:

I build custom PCs for people mainly gaming rigs and I download and install most of their games for them.

Download speed is everything for me and I know everything on my Network is 1 gig ready except my SB6183 modem.

Which will still handle the maximum speed TWC will output at this time anyway. I can understand wanting more speed for downloading games directly to PC. I do admit, seeing a game update at 32mb/s was pretty nice the other night.

Expert

You won't be using any sort of Docsis 3.0 or 3.1 modem for 1 gig service..... At least nothing that's going to give you 100 meg upstream, there just isn't bandwidth on coax.

You need a cat 6 cable to the outside fiber interface, I don't think Moca over a coax to get thru the wall is a good idea.

Windstream was out on my street most of today in the snowstorm, trying to get a neighbors DSL working. I told the tech, sorry, there's No good pairs. all are split...The squirells chewed up the line and Windstream won't replace it...  So DSL isn't available or reliable here or much faster than the 740k basic.

These lines were bad when Windstream bought out Western Reserve telephone years back, we had trouble keeping 2 phone lines working before Cable internet became available... Well same issue with TWC, they bought out Adelphia and haven't replaced the system, hust patched up a few bad pieces of line, Ours is now a mix of 40 year old bare aluminum and 3 year old repaired spans and all the old amps and tapoffs. I have 2 leaky trunklines and a dozen bad drops on the node.  This get's way worst up in Cuyahoga county with stuff remaining from the Viacom and Matrix cable systems TWC now owns. ( I think all the Telerama cable is gone, lol.)

Downtown Cleveland is supposedly getting a 3gig fiber network...

Participant

DS,

Thank you for the first reply.

To answer your question about the increased speed. It's not a matter of people NEEDING the increase of speed. Home users don't actually NEED internet at all. However, it is a service of convenience. For me, it's really an issue of paying for time. When I am purchasing that 7GB program and waiting for it to download. Or when Apple releases a major OS update and I have two Mac Pro's and a Macbook to install it on.

My other whole issue is upload speeds. The only way I will ever see increased upload speeds with TW's HSC is when they increase the download speeds. Let's face it, anymore we upload 13mp pictures on Facebook and use online storage services like Google Drive, iCloud, and even Carbonite. Even now we finally have 4k resolution (8k tv's already being displayed at CES) hitting the markets and services backing them like youtube, vemo and facebook. When I record in 4k videos on my cell and upload it on youtube. Let me tell you that uploading a 1GB 4k video for just a few mins of record time is not pleasant on a 50x5 connection. Reminds you of dialup days.

I love being loyal to a company that shows it always working and staying in the loop of advancements. When reports come out with Time Warner and 97% profit margins on internet service. I think great for them and that's what good business decisions are the result of. However, when a company in their position decides to sit on their hands and milk an old infrastructure simply do to the lack of competition. I no longer see that company as a benefit for the area. Obviously, Time Warner will ramp up the service once AT&T does the gigapower turn-up. At that point, the good thing Time Warner can still offer is to leave the service at the "unlimited" status to the fiber 1TB cap AT&T is imposing on the service.

I mean let't put it in perspective here. The iPhone 4s and Prometheus was the big hype when TW released 50x5 in the area. I loved my iphone 4s, but faster and better technology evolved since then..

I understand perhaps for you, or even the elderly community speeds like that are a complete waste. However, for a growing number of others, it is a choking point when you have to sit... and wait... and wait..

Yes, I know, life will go on and stop crying. There are children in Africa starving. However, in the same aspect, hey if you don't want to upgrade your networks. Get out of the way and let another corporation do it.
Spectrum Employee

I hear ya. And some of those starving children in Africa have faster internet connections than some areas of the US lol.

I apologize that its a slow process and your area hasn't received much priority, but at TWC, we say it stands for Things Will Change and 300mbps will be there, hopefully sooner rather than later.