Browser

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?


karlbeckman wrote:

Gary, I just thought of another possibility.  Do you have a Netgear router and did you recently do a firmware update to it or to their Genie interface?? 

I remembber an earlier similar issue on this forum wherea user had defaulted the QOS feature (named something completely non-intuitive) to on-auto which limited streaming speeds in both directions.  If you remember ever running across that in your router settings, check them and be sure the feature is turned off when running Speedtest.


Karl, thanks for the suggestion/comment, but I am using a Asus RT-N66u router.  Even when I do use the router when running speed tests, the Traffic Manager (aka QOS) is turned off.  I (and the TWC tech) tested speeds with the router out of the path, i.e. the computer directly connected to the modem.  I also tested with a different computer connected directly to the modem, and got the same results.  So....I have eliminated the modem (replaced), the computer (tried another one), and cat6 cable (replaced cable) elements from being the trouble spots.     But....keep thinking....and thanks for any future suggestions you might have.

-Gary

 

Expert

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?

copy and paste a tracert to 209.18.47.61   Let's see if there's still a RDC in Dallas...

 

Browser

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?


MsRaye wrote:

copy and paste a tracert to 209.18.47.61   Let's see if there's still a RDC in Dallas...

 


Here ya go...

Traceroute has started…

 

traceroute to 209.18.47.61 (209.18.47.61), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets

 1  router.asus.com (192.168.1.1)  0.517 ms  0.285 ms  0.316 ms

 2  142.254.131.9 (142.254.131.9)  8.872 ms  9.211 ms  8.907 ms

 3  tge0-0-0.wylitx3101h.texas.rr.com (24.28.88.1)  30.705 ms  23.943 ms  22.911 ms

 4  agg22.grldtxdw01r.texas.rr.com (24.175.49.205)  21.536 ms  12.659 ms  11.262 ms

 5  agg21.crtntxjt01r.texas.rr.com (24.175.36.193)  29.503 ms  20.845 ms  23.228 ms

 6  agg21.dllatxl301r.texas.rr.com (24.175.49.0)  16.269 ms  22.741 ms  24.146 ms

 7  agg1.ausxtxir05r.texas.rr.com (24.175.42.170)  19.054 ms  18.394 ms  16.672 ms

 8  dns-cac-lb-01.rr.com (209.18.47.61)  16.853 ms  17.514 ms  17.568 ms

 

Expert

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?

looks like Austin, that's a good sign that they didn't try to use a single rdc for the entire US...

Their speedtest runs at the same RDC.  Can you try an upload to a neighbor?

 

 

Expert

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?

Run glasnost over at https://www.measurementlab.net/tests     and see what upload speeds you get

Browser

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?


MsRaye wrote:

Run glasnost over at https://www.measurementlab.net/tests     and see what upload speeds you get


Glasnost is no longer available as of February.....

Browser

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?

Update:  Took my (brand new)  SB6183 outside to the NID and hooked up at the ground block (thus eliminating ANY inside-the-home issues), and used a laptop to connect.  Upstream speed was the same as when inside the house (11 Mbps).    I think this one is on TWC/Spectrum's side of the fence to repair.   Tech scheduled for tomorrow to check ped and node.

Expert

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?


garyearly wrote:

MsRaye wrote:

Run glasnost over at https://www.measurementlab.net/tests     and see what upload speeds you get


Glasnost is no longer available as of February.....


Aint that special.... darn it...

 

Established Sharer

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?

Your measured upload speed makes this look like an incorrectly provisioned modem, set for 10 Mbps up instead of 20.  You should ask the tech to verify what modem make and model are in the billing database, and what speeds were pushed into your modem recently. 

Browser

Re: Any SB6183 Users in North Texas Seeing Slow UPLOAD Speeds?


karlbeckman wrote:

Your measured upload speed makes this look like an incorrectly provisioned modem, set for 10 Mbps up instead of 20.  You should ask the tech to verify what modem make and model are in the billing database, and what speeds were pushed into your modem recently. 


Karl-

Yup, agree with all of your points.  Definitely looks capped at 10 upstream.  I have now had no less than 3 different techs confirm that the provisioning is correct, and when  I asked them what model modem was in the billing database, they said "we show a Motorola SB6183".  Interesting that they didn't say "Arris", but whatever.  Also, the config file is correct, so they have pushed the right firmware.   I am going to ask the tech to do a return path sweep test at my grounding block to see what CNRs he sees.  One tech already told me that the upstream FEC numbers looked "great".  I know--that is weird too.  I don't think that it is an ingress issue, especially since I eliminated the element that is uually 70% of the causes (home) with my tests outside last night.  Still, that leaves 25% chances between the me and the drop.  I think hardline ingress is typically only about 5% chance or so.  We should know more tomorrow--tech visit onsite is this afternoon.